hydraulic cylinder leak

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hydraulic cylinder leak

My yamaha 115 has a slight leak in the Baystar cylinder. Should I try to replace an o-ring ,replace the cylinder, or take it to someone who knows what they are doing? Any idea who does this kind of work and the cost?

Most likely they'll tell you that system (whichever one it is) is very difficult to fix, better off to relpace entire system. Big bucks!! I'm trying mine myself.

Amazing, after posting above I checked which one mine is, it's a BayStar!! Had my dealer look at it a while ago he told me what I said above. I'm very mechanical, just not the experience the Mechanic has on these but I bet ya I can do it! Gonna look up parts now.

Wade - Reel Mayhem is the man to see for the repairs on them

Quote Originally Posted by tunaman View Post
    Amazing, after posting above I checked which one mine is, it's a BayStar!! Had my dealer look at it a while ago he told me what I said above. I'm very mechanical, just not the experience the Mechanic has on these but I bet ya I can do it! Gonna look up parts now.
    two kits -port and stbd. about $90.00 each .Must remove cyl to install.Fill and bleed good luck. 2x WADE

3x Wade 338-6172

Wade did mine on my Grady White. With Wade, He treats your boat like it's his own. He will save you money where he can, and you always get MORE than you paid for.
    Solid guy and knows his stuff.
    For Sale RESTORED 1988 Grady White 228G Seafarer
    Yamaha 200
    goto: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/5034729266.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lug Man View Post
    3x Wade 338-6172

Wade did mine on my Grady White. With Wade, He treats your boat like it's his own. He will save you money where he can, and you always get MORE than you paid for.
    Solid guy and knows his stuff.
    does wade make calls to south florida? i have a similar problem.
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate

If you are a little bit handy you can do it yourself. Buy the kit with the wrench....it's the only one that works.

As to buy a new cylinder or not....I would look at how old the system is....If it's an older system, then maybe I would just consider replacing the whole thing. Too many times you hear of people changing the seal only, and then they only last 6 to 9 months, before they leak again. If it's fairly new, then a seal kit might get you by for a good while.

I just went through this on the old Fountain I had. My boat was a 93 model, and the system on that one was very old....so after debating on trying the seal fix....I decided to just replace the cylinders....both of them. And yes they were pricey, but I knew what I needed to get and just watched e-bay and bought a couple new and in the box, when I found some at a good price.

They get corroded inside the cylinder, so you really don't know what kind of corrosion you have and to what extent....so if you just replace the seals, and not remedy the underlying problem, they just end up leaking again.

But like was said....Wade can replace those seals too....

Steve

baystar has glands.no screw off end caps.no wrench. i am sure you had seastar(bigger boat}.baystar 150hp and under.

Banned
    Baystar cylinders come in two flavors, one uses bolts to hold the packing glands in and one uses a locking system. If it's leaking oil out, water is getting in. If it's been leaking long corrosion will eat away the cylinder inside ( usually the middle as most people store the boat with engine centered ) and allow oil past the piston seal, reducing steering effectiveness. It also will destroy your helm as the water settles at the bottom of the helm where there is very small thrust bearing. It is usually best practice to disassemble the unit for inspection prior to making an determination. Either way, proper flushing is an absolute must if any water is found in the system. If you decide not to tackle it yourself, give me a call and I'll take care of it for you, either at my shop or at your boat. If you do decide to tackle it yourself, I would suggest that you call Les @ Westside Marine for your parts if you live on the WS @ 695-2756 or me if you are nearer the beaches. Thanks, Wade 338-6172
    Last edited by Anonymous3; 12-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast