New Bonefish Reel
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Bonefish Reel

I'm looking to get a new bonefish reel for my Orvis Hydros 8wt rod. My old Battenkill failed so it's time to replace after a few years of use. I'm looking to use one of the following reels. If any of you have used any of these reels, please let me know how they performed for you. They will only be used for saltwater fishing!

1. Orvis Hydros IV
    2. Okuma Helios H89a
    3. Allen Alpha 2
    4. Allen Kraken
    5. Colton Torrent T789
    6. Colton CRGII

I currently use a Ross Evolution on my other 8wt BVK rod and it works great but I want to try something different and not have to spend alot of money on a new reel. Most important features I'm looking for in these reels are how well they hold up to saltwater, durable drag and smoothness and reliability.

Thanks for reading this,
    Dax

Have a silver Orvis Hydros IV for sale. About 6 months old. Used a few times. Let me know if interested.

Both the Hydros and Alpha II did well for me. I did find the Alpha to a bit heavy.

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2017 ?????? Coming Soon!!
    www.shadowcastcharters.com

I have the Orvis Hydro and it has been a very good reel. I also have an older Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor III and an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor VI, both have held up and performed well. Another reel that is worth a look is the Lamson Litespeed. 3.5.

I own two battenkill IV reels and it's time to replace one of them. I would like to try something different like either the Colton, Allen or Okuma reels. Has anyone had experience with any of these reels?

I like the looks of the Kraken. Looks like a good reel. Havent heard any reviews though. I have the Orvis Mirage IV and love it; powerful and smooth drag. Havent heard a bad thing about them. Theyre worth looking into.

I have had really good luck with my Lamson Litespeeds. Can't complain about anything. I've had them for about 5 years.

Howdy,

The Colton Torrent will outlast and outperform (drag-wise) every other reel in your list, it does not have the largest hub of them all, though, if that is what you are looking for. Bob Filger has them on sale these says. You'll pay reasonable money for a bombroof fly reel!!!

Cheers,

Sixgunner

What sixgunner said X2
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Banned
    Dax,

Let me make a suggestion, since you live in bonefish Country and will be fishing for a long time in and around saltwater. Why not get rid of all the junk reels you have on your list, and buy a good reel? Sure you have to lay out more rubies, maybe go to ebay and buy a used Abel or maybe a Tibor. You might just buy a good used reel for the same price of a new junk reel. Abel's and Tibor's get better with age. the only difference between a new Abel and a used one is the amount of scratches. Then when you do hook a fish and see how the reel performs it will make you smile, not want to throw the thing in the water. soon as you start a post about cheap reels, the guys come out of the woodwork with reels for sale, you didn't see any Abel's or Tibor's show up, did you? break down buy a good reel and only cry once. there is a reason that the good reels cost more, It's cause they work. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast