7 foot water moccasin - Page 7

Florida Sportsman

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I have walk on some that would take off as soon as they saw you and then i have others
    that would stand their ground and give you the evil eye and again as far as the size of
    that snake you can take a three footer and make it look like a six footer by just holding it really
    close to the camera like they did in that picture...

I don't know how may so-called water moccain i have been called to look at just to tell them its
    a water snake.... i ask why you kill it.... Because its a moccasin
    "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"

That rake has 7 tines on 12 inch centers.... 6 foot...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBandit View Post
    That rake has 7 tines on 12 inch centers.... 6 foot...
    You need to talk like an engineer; 12" on center.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    You need to talk like an engineer; 12" on center.
    I sold em, didn't make em....

walking the RR tracks going to the second pond back in early Spring of 1972 to catch some bluegills, on the sunny side of the track was a "BIG" Moccasin trying to gather enough heat from the black rail and the Sun. She was laid out all the way along the track. She didn't move, she just opened her mouth, we almost stepped on her.
    We decided to carch her and figured she'd be worth hundreds of dollars. We had seen a bunch of 4 foot moccasins...this one looked over six feet. So I put my rod handle on its neck..it wasn't very warm, it was Spring and the Sun wasn't strong. The snake didn't move much bit started leaking venom...and then the train came. I pulled out a knife and stuck it in the head a couple of times(at least I thought we could skin it and prove it was over 6ft. Then we stood back till the train passed. But the snake flipped over onto the track and was cut in four peices. We threw it in the pond...guessed the weight was over 30lbs, but it was "dead weight" and the big peices were very floppy and hard to hold which probably made it seem heavier.
    Still the biggest water moccasin I've ever seen.

Senior Member Pescatoral Pursuit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FibberMckee View Post
    Have lived adjacent to nearly 30,000 acres of wildlife refuge, noted for its large snake populations, for nearly 20 years & have had almost completely the opposite experience. Cottonmouth water moccasins can be abundant here, depending on how wet the year is & they're always much more common than "run o' the mill watersnakes" which are seldom seen. My property is high & dry, except small sinkhole pond, but surrounded by lots of wet habitat that goes dry during droughts. When heavy rains flood the low ground Cottonmouths move to these upland forests, concentrating their number dramatically.

Make no mistake. I know EXACTLY how to tell the difference between a Cottonmouth & any "run o' the mill watersnake".

Most Cottonmouths I encounter aggressively open their Cotton Mouths & display their conspicuous fangs. I have never seen a Cottonmouth that made much of an effort "to get away from me" & most defiantly hold their ground. The few that decided, Discretion is the Greater Part of Valor, slowly sought the nearest dark hiding place. The 90+ YO Grandma who used to live next door "was able to catch" Cottonmouths in her garden with a hoe. They normally just sit there & dare you to bring it.

Conversely, the fangless Common water snakes are mostly timid & if disturbed quickly flee, often so fast it's hard to get a good look at them. No chance of whacking 1 of these with a hoe. When it's dry you can't find "an ol' watersnake" here & there's no increase when the low lands are wet, they're happy to bask in trees over water.

Neighbor with cattle lot told me he killed 80 Cottonmouths the year Francis & Jeanne flooded everything. I'd killed a dozen between my front door, my truck & my workshop. My last German shorthaired pointer survived 2 Cottonmouth bites, my current GSP killed his 1st Cottonmouth this Summer. Last Cottonmouth I encountered sulked off under parked car when I disturbed it mowing. A couple of rounds later it was out in middle of lawn & proved CaptCamel's "they don't outrun lead or a 24hp john deere mower" when it met my 20 hp Gravely 50" deck!
    Sounds like you need to pull that cottonmouth out of your cranky ***.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Not that my comments will mean much to this discussion given people's attitudes about Cottonmouths and snakes in general, but I agree 100% with JohnnyBandit and Tarponator. My experiences are based on being a forester/wildlife manager in Florida since 1965, and actively being in the woods about 5 days a week almost, and still active 2-3 days a week in "wetlands deliniation" exactly where Cottonmouths will be! I've had a few charge toward me....and go right on by with no attempt at biting....in an effort to get to a "safe haven" escape location. Even remember a small one, maybe 18 inches or so long going right between my legs before I saw it! Given a choice between knowingly working around Cottonmouths and Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes, or walking up on yellowjacket nests, give me the snakes anytime!

I've never known a fellow forester or woodsworker bitten by a Cottonmouth, but I'm sure others here on the Board know of a number who have ! I have known two foresters killed in the woods working, however. One by yellowjackets on a hot July afternoon, and another by a "crackhead" with an axe for his billfold!
    Hey, thanks for the billing.

Incidently, one detail of my story I left out, was that before I gave chase, my buddy, who was in front of me, stepped right over it, causing it to bolt when it could've easily bit either of his legs.

"Sometimes things are exactly as they seem."

I had one attempt to attack me on a plane once, luckily and nice bald headed black man killed it for me
    "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
    "An it harm none, do as ye will."
    "The mind is everything. What you think you become."

No mater what-that ones scary

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBandit View Post
    Oh so the "urban" Moccasins are faster and more aggressive than their country relatives?

Snake was probably scared by the ascot and trying to get out of your way..... But you were scared of the snake and running around like a Ninny.... So you and the snake ended up going in the same direction.

Big guy for sure, media will always exaggerate facts, but that snake is clearly over 6', most likely about 15lbs or a little more.

Can't see why it would be killed besides fear from ignorance.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast