Baitrunner spool wobble

Florida Sportsman

Baitrunner spool wobble

Just spooled my new baitrunner 8000d with 40 lb power pro and the line seems uneven....more line appears on the top half of the spool on one side then the rest of the spool. One thought I had was that it could possibly be due to having to use a layer of tape before spooling, (tape could be uneven?)but the tape is only one layer and so thin....so I don't think that is the cause. I later noticed when drag is running the spool has a major wobble. Is it designed to wobble or just move up and down. I was thinking that if it's not designed to wobble, then that could be the cause of the uneven line on the spool. Please let me know what you think. I did spool myself and thought I did a good job of spooling pretty tight with uniform pressure (decent bend in rod) while spooling. I also figured the wobble was an illusion at first and caused by uneven line, but looking closely I am pretty sure I see a wobble.

The spool just needs 1 (or 2) spool shims (but you'll have to remove & respool the line after you add the shim(s). There should be some spool shims in the box (small plastic/teflon washers)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' or 'Undergoing Overfishing'

If that's the case I'd like to find out how to get it corrected by a pro or exchange for a working one. An out of the box brand new reel should be flawless. There was nothing in the box. It came already attached to a rod without any docs, reel box etc from sportsauthority.com. I'll wait to hear from the shimano employee that checks this board. Thanks.

You can give us a call at 877-577-0600 to obtain the shims. It appears this dealer put together the combo. We do not offer any combos.

why are the shims not checked by shimano in the manufacturing process? Now I have to add parts to a brand new real and on top of that I was not able to fill my spool with the max amount of $40 a box power pro as a result of faulty manufacturing? Ay caramba.
    Last edited by bigyellowtuna; 12-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.

We do adjust the shims, but there are tolerances on each reel. This is why they are provided in the box. The labor alone to spool every reel and strip the line would be insane. There are several variables that control the line lay. The shim adjustment is pretty standard for all spinning reels. 99% of the time it is perfect out of the box, 1% may need adjustment. Then there are people that like front loading the spool, there are different types of line, the differences in the amount of tension used on the line, etc.

In my experience most reels take mono just fine (out of the box) but way more than 1% require shimming adjustment when using braid...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' or 'Undergoing Overfishing'

Oscillation gear driven reels typically need more adjustment. The worm shaft driven reels are usually good to go. Part of this is how oscillation gears work. There is a dwell time at the top and bottom of the stroke where the gear is still turning, but the spool is not moving. Typically you will get an hour glass shape line lay. We made a few changes to reduce the dwell time and allow the line to lay more evenly. Early solutions came in the form of an elliptical gear. This eliminated the dwell time, but every gear set had to be timed correctly and they were not as smooth as a round gear. The problem is braided line is not perfectly round. Tension dictates most of how the line will lay on the spool too.