Very Surprising Catch In My Own Backyard!

Florida Sportsman

Very Surprising Catch In My Own Backyard!

So I went to fish the pond behind our apartments, as I do nearly every evening and caught a few bass. I've seen mullet in this pond but nothing other than that. Figured it connected to the river some way, but never thought too much of it. Worked around to a corner, where I see a couple of hard pops on a bluegill. I launch my Fluke in there and hook up. To my surprise, drag just starts ripping out! Then leaping 4 feet out of the air... A TARPON!! I've fished this pond for almost a year and never seen anything of the sort. After 2 more drag peeling runs and 5 jumps. I land the fish. Snapped a quick picture of the fish in the water as it was pretty worn out. Then revived it so it could swim away strong. Lesson of the day: You never know what is lurking in a Southeast FL pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails poon.jpg  

Banned
    I love it!

awesome! wish that could happen in Central Florida...

Good work Joup !! I fish a pond a little North of you and and always catch a few nice Bass. After the big freeze I was pretty surprised to see nice Snook and Tarpon float to the top.

Poon Tang! NICE!!! Be on the look out for snook or jacks, especially if you're near a levy or inlet.

Very cool...Never ceases to amaze me what we'll find in the bodies of water here in south Florida...Again, great job!

Cool. I grew up near a small pond in Key West that was infested with those. Still is to a point.
    Years back I found some small poons in a pond outside of Yankeetown while turkey hunting and caught one while fishing for bluegill.
    Found out there was a very small creek that fed into it on super high tides to explain how they arrived. Last I checked they left on one also and were gone.
    "You'll get your weather"