Can any of you all please help a brother out?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can any of you all please help a brother out?

Christmas is rapidly approaching and I believe I am set on getting the wife a new camera. She has had a Canon Rebel for close to the past 10 years but it is now doing some weird things with the coloring so I want to upgrade it for her. Admitedly, I know ZERO about photography, but from what I've read on-line the newest Canon Rebel should suit her needs (plus she'll already have some familiarity with the camera)....

Does the following look like a decent deal? How about the lenses that comes with it? She mostly shoots pics of the kids posing and also playing soccer. Again, I know ZERO about lenses or anything else relative to photography... Any advice or even guidance towards a different direction if need be would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i 18.0 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm EF-S IS II Lens & Canon 75-300 Lens + 58mm 2x Telephoto lens + 58mm Wide Angle Lens (4 Lens Kit!!!!!!) W/32GB SDHC Memory+ 2 Extra Batteries + Charger + 3 Piece Filter Kit + UV Filter + Full Size Tripod + Case +Accessory Kit
    by Canon
    4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (12 customer reviews) | Like 1355070732 false 1 12 12 11 (12)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    List Price: $1,499.95
    Price: $1,049.99
    Deal Price:
    You Save: $449.96 (30%)

She probably has limited use for the extras included in the kit if she's had a camera for 10 years. Shop B&H and Adorama for comparison of prices. Both of those are highly regarded retailers and will typically have very close to the lowest price you will find.

I think everyone had the older T3 on sale for a decent price. You get the body with 2 lenses for $499. Its a big upgrade over her old rebel. Save the $500 and get another lens with it. For $150 you can get the new 40mm 2.8 and have a new camera body with 3 lenses for less.

If she has been a Canon shooter for 10+ years doesn't already have lenses? Why reinvent the wheel, although I do see the 18-55mm is an IS lens? How about the purchase of a body alone? If you want to spend a few extra coins how about a flash gun?
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself.

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterEngineer View Post
    If she has been a Canon shooter for 10+ years doesn't already have lenses? Why reinvent the wheel, although I do see the 18-55mm is an IS lens? How about the purchase of a body alone? If you want to spend a few extra coins how about a flash gun?
    As far as I am aware, the only lense that she has is the one that originally came with the camera, an 18-55mm... Would the "quality" of the lense not have changed over 10 years? I really don't know, but would love to save some change, stick with the old lense and get some kind of "zoom" lense or something, but I don't want to skimp if the quality is not there...

They also offer it with the 18-135mm lense for a couple of hundred bucks more than the 18-55mm lense. I'm thinking of maybe going with the 18-135mm? Is the 18-135 worth a couple of hundred bucks over the the 18-55mm?

Speaking only for myself, I would find the range far more appealing than that of the 18-55 *but* it would have to be reasonably sharp. Range is no good if the shots are not sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Lines View Post
    As far as I am aware, the only lense that she has is the one that originally came with the camera, an 18-55mm... Would the "quality" of the lense not have changed over 10 years? I really don't know, but would love to save some change, stick with the old lense and get some kind of "zoom" lense or something, but I don't want to skimp if the quality is not there...

They also offer it with the 18-135mm lense for a couple of hundred bucks more than the 18-55mm lense. I'm thinking of maybe going with the 18-135mm? Is the 18-135 worth a couple of hundred bucks over the the 18-55mm?
    You would have an overlap of lenses if you have both. Basically your 18-135 is only a 56-135. Does depend on the quality of the existing lens though, but most kit lenses were sub par over their L glass.

Who are you thinking of buying from?

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

i've been shooting canon dslr's for 7 years....
    first one is an xti....goood camera , solid, dependable and good imagery...
    is she has the 18-55 and no tele i'd get her the ef 70-300 IS USM which is around $600...
    it's a surprisingly good piece of glass and IS is wonderful...i have captured many a good wild life image with it...
    you really won't miss the lack of "overlap...

if she want's a wide zoom for landscapes and a fast piece of glass tamron, and tokina have a 17-50 f2.8 which are both good pieces of glass and wont break the bank...
    you may PM if you want as i've had a lot of experience shooting a variety of canon bodies and glass...

tim

The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002

the new 18-55 should be IS vs the old one not being IS. I sitll say check out the Rebel T3. Kmart has it with the 18-55is and the 75-300 lens for $500. And if you get her a newer one, her old memory cards will not work it since old ones are CF vs the new SD

Not a bad idea Germ. The conventional wisdom is to spend your money on glass, the T3i would allow more or better lens purchases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast