Can any of you all please help a brother out?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can any of you all please help a brother out?

Christmas is rapidly approaching and I believe I am set on getting the wife a new camera. She has had a Canon Rebel for close to the past 10 years but it is now doing some weird things with the coloring so I want to upgrade it for her. Admitedly, I know ZERO about photography, but from what I've read on-line the newest Canon Rebel should suit her needs (plus she'll already have some familiarity with the camera)....

Does the following look like a decent deal? How about the lenses that comes with it? She mostly shoots pics of the kids posing and also playing soccer. Again, I know ZERO about lenses or anything else relative to photography... Any advice or even guidance towards a different direction if need be would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i 18.0 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm EF-S IS II Lens & Canon 75-300 Lens + 58mm 2x Telephoto lens + 58mm Wide Angle Lens (4 Lens Kit!!!!!!) W/32GB SDHC Memory+ 2 Extra Batteries + Charger + 3 Piece Filter Kit + UV Filter + Full Size Tripod + Case +Accessory Kit
    by Canon
    4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (12 customer reviews) | Like 1355070732 false 1 12 12 11 (12)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    List Price: $1,499.95
    Price: $1,049.99
    Deal Price:
    You Save: $449.96 (30%)

She probably has limited use for the extras included in the kit if she's had a camera for 10 years. Shop B&H and Adorama for comparison of prices. Both of those are highly regarded retailers and will typically have very close to the lowest price you will find.

I think everyone had the older T3 on sale for a decent price. You get the body with 2 lenses for $499. Its a big upgrade over her old rebel. Save the $500 and get another lens with it. For $150 you can get the new 40mm 2.8 and have a new camera body with 3 lenses for less.

If she has been a Canon shooter for 10+ years doesn't already have lenses? Why reinvent the wheel, although I do see the 18-55mm is an IS lens? How about the purchase of a body alone? If you want to spend a few extra coins how about a flash gun?
    "I'm not a physicist." ~ ac2020

"It's a shame PACs cannot simply lie and get away with it." ~ SWFL

Quote Originally Posted by WaterEngineer View Post
    If she has been a Canon shooter for 10+ years doesn't already have lenses? Why reinvent the wheel, although I do see the 18-55mm is an IS lens? How about the purchase of a body alone? If you want to spend a few extra coins how about a flash gun?
    As far as I am aware, the only lense that she has is the one that originally came with the camera, an 18-55mm... Would the "quality" of the lense not have changed over 10 years? I really don't know, but would love to save some change, stick with the old lense and get some kind of "zoom" lense or something, but I don't want to skimp if the quality is not there...

They also offer it with the 18-135mm lense for a couple of hundred bucks more than the 18-55mm lense. I'm thinking of maybe going with the 18-135mm? Is the 18-135 worth a couple of hundred bucks over the the 18-55mm?

Speaking only for myself, I would find the range far more appealing than that of the 18-55 *but* it would have to be reasonably sharp. Range is no good if the shots are not sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Lines View Post
    As far as I am aware, the only lense that she has is the one that originally came with the camera, an 18-55mm... Would the "quality" of the lense not have changed over 10 years? I really don't know, but would love to save some change, stick with the old lense and get some kind of "zoom" lense or something, but I don't want to skimp if the quality is not there...

They also offer it with the 18-135mm lense for a couple of hundred bucks more than the 18-55mm lense. I'm thinking of maybe going with the 18-135mm? Is the 18-135 worth a couple of hundred bucks over the the 18-55mm?
    You would have an overlap of lenses if you have both. Basically your 18-135 is only a 56-135. Does depend on the quality of the existing lens though, but most kit lenses were sub par over their L glass.

Who are you thinking of buying from?

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

i've been shooting canon dslr's for 7 years....
    first one is an xti....goood camera , solid, dependable and good imagery...
    is she has the 18-55 and no tele i'd get her the ef 70-300 IS USM which is around $600...
    it's a surprisingly good piece of glass and IS is wonderful...i have captured many a good wild life image with it...
    you really won't miss the lack of "overlap...

if she want's a wide zoom for landscapes and a fast piece of glass tamron, and tokina have a 17-50 f2.8 which are both good pieces of glass and wont break the bank...
    you may PM if you want as i've had a lot of experience shooting a variety of canon bodies and glass...

tim

The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....

the new 18-55 should be IS vs the old one not being IS. I sitll say check out the Rebel T3. Kmart has it with the 18-55is and the 75-300 lens for $500. And if you get her a newer one, her old memory cards will not work it since old ones are CF vs the new SD

Not a bad idea Germ. The conventional wisdom is to spend your money on glass, the T3i would allow more or better lens purchases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast