Painted toolbox

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Painted toolbox

Painted toolbox

Is there anything to clean a black aluminum toolbox?

Is it painted black or an anodized finish?

We do make an aluminum cleaner for canoes, pontoon boats, traielrs, etc that is very effective.

Im guessing its painted black from UWS that has faded from the sun.

If it's painted, you are cleaning the paint, not the aluminum. Think of it like your car or truck: it has aluminum, plastic and steel panels, but they are painted, so you clean & polish the paint, not the material underneath.

Next question: is it dirty or is it faded or is it scratched? The answer is what dictates the proper product to use. If it's just dirty, any boat or car wash will work fine. You can actually apply a protective coat of polish afterwards to help keep it clean.

If it's faded or scratched, you might want to use a cleaner wax to help restore it, but be careful, as I doubt the layer of paint is very thick. Any overly aggressive use of a cleaner wax or a compound could easily strip off the remainign paint.

You might be best off to clean the tool box and then repaint it with an appropriate paint.

when I get to it Im gonna linex it to match the bed in truck, thanks Bill

Line X is great stuff. I used it to undercoat my Grand Wagoneer and to do the engine bay when I replaced the engine, too. Good choice.