New Reel For Surf Rod

Florida Sportsman

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21

    New Reel For Surf Rod

    I purchased the following rod recently http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...10051_11099_-1 I want to purchase a Penn Fierce spinning reel for it but I am not sure which size Fierce to buy. What would you recommend? Any help is appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by judd2112 View Post
    I purchased the following rod recently http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...10051_11099_-1 I want to purchase a Penn Fierce spinning reel for it but I am not sure which size Fierce to buy. What would you recommend? Any help is appreciated!
    Never checked out the fierce. I just bought a battle to replace an older Penn SS. In general though:

    I have an 11' rod thats balanced pretty nicely with a 6000. I would say a 5000 or maybe down to 4000 depending on the line capacity you think you need.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    75
    The description just says "heavy", but does not give a line rating. If the line rating is in the 20-40 pound class, go with a FRC7000 or FRC6000, if the line rating is closer to 15-30, the FRC5000 might be a better choice.
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunanorth View Post
    The description just says "heavy", but does not give a line rating. If the line rating is in the 20-40 pound class, go with a FRC7000 or FRC6000, if the line rating is closer to 15-30, the FRC5000 might be a better choice.
    The line weight is 15-40lb. Would it be better to go with a bigger reel or slightly smaller?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by judd2112 View Post
    The line weight is 15-40lb. Would it be better to go with a bigger reel or slightly smaller?

    All other things being equal, the larger reel will cast further, and hold more line for larger fish [7000 also has a little more drag than 6000 and 5000]. The disadvantage being slightly heavier weight and ease of handling.
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"

  6. #6
    Member PENN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    235
    A Fierce 5000 or 6000 would be the idea match for line capacity and balance for a 9' 15-40lb rod.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •