Deputy fatally shoots Walmart shoplifting suspect - Page 7

Florida Sportsman

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71
  1. #61
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ft. Myers
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by lawaiaa View Post

    I know you are an LEO. Please don't take my opinion as an indictment of all LEO's. I just look at this incident as real blemish on all the good LEO's that go to work everyday with the true belief they are protecting the public, even if it means protecting the public from itself.
    I am not a LEO, but that seems like an indictment of all LEO's if you think that a 26 year veteran just decided to kill a shoplifter. Unless you know something of his background to indicate otherwise, you would have to be an absolute azzhat o think there is any more to this than he though he was going to be killed by a criminal and he did what he had to do to make sure his children did not have to find out he had been killed that day. Regardless of weather or not his use of force saved his life or not it was what he, with 26 years of experience and training, though was necessary. I don't know what you do for a living but I have to respect his decision as 26 years is a lot more experience than I have.

  2. #62
    Senior Member fishknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Stuart
    Posts
    3,234
    Quote Originally Posted by lawaiaa View Post
    Definitely.... and maybe in this instance, an off duty police officer, working in a contract capacity (because no matter how you slice it he is being paid to protect WalMarts interests) to primarily discourage or arrest shoplifters, should be armed with a taser as well as a gun to provide a less lethal method of subduing a suspect that may be guilty of a non capital crime that offers resistance during apprehension.

    I know you are an LEO. Please don't take my opinion as an indictment of all LEO's. I just look at this incident as real blemish on all the good LEO's that go to work everyday with the true belief they are protecting the public, even if it means protecting the public from itself.
    I dont take offense to your opinion, what I do disagree with is, many folks are quick to judge a leo when he has micro seconds to process, rationalize, and act. We do receive training in high stress incidents and even do critical incident reviews of actual cases that are caught on taser and dash cams. One big hurdle during high stress incidents is "tunnel vision", I've been there during footchases, nothing else matters, you dont hear the radio and can lose tract of where you are. And it seems that the people that judge the leo so harshley forget that the bad guy set the incident in motion, I can guarantee that if she would not have battered the leo and tried to escape using a vehicle this would not have been a deadly force encounter.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by lawaiaa View Post
    Definitely.... and maybe in this instance, an off duty police officer, working in a contract capacity (because no matter how you slice it he is being paid to protect WalMarts interests) to primarily discourage or arrest shoplifters, should be armed with a taser as well as a gun to provide a less lethal method of subduing a suspect that may be guilty of a non capital crime that offers resistance during apprehension.

    I know you are an LEO. Please don't take my opinion as an indictment of all LEO's. I just look at this incident as real blemish on all the good LEO's that go to work everyday with the true belief they are protecting the public, even if it means protecting the public from itself.
    How many shoplifters have you apprehended??? I have done quite a few and the people that work for me have done many more in the last 25 years. Many shoplifters are career criminals and many of them have arrest warrants for very serious things INCLUDING attempted murder. I have seen shoplifters with knives, razor cutters, and even guns in my day. So until you have to go out and bring one in you have no clue what you are talking about. I have seen an 80 lb female crack head beat the hell out of guys twice their weight.

  4. #64
    Senior Member lawaiaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maui
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Security Leak View Post
    How many shoplifters have you apprehended??? I have done quite a few and the people that work for me have done many more in the last 25 years. Many shoplifters are career criminals and many of them have arrest warrants for very serious things INCLUDING attempted murder. I have seen shoplifters with knives, razor cutters, and even guns in my day. So until you have to go out and bring one in you have no clue what you are talking about. I have seen an 80 lb female crack head beat the hell out of guys twice their weight.
    How many have you had to kill?

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by lawaiaa View Post
    How many have you had to kill?
    None, but have had to knock a few out.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Land of Wind and Ghosts
    Posts
    15,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Security Leak View Post
    None, but have had to knock a few out.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    wherever I can fish
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Security Leak View Post
    None, but have had to knock a few out.
    Security Leak are you still with the Depot ? I just celebrated 14 years. I know what you mean by some of these lowlifes fighting. A while back I had to assist my lp as he was having a rough time with a suspect and I grabbed the guy by the ankles an took him off his feet,about the same time a trooper who was in our lot came over the back of me with his tazer and the jerk still fought,the funny thing was when he was cuffed and they lifted his pant leg he had over 100 staples in his leg from his foot to his kneecap and they were fresh. In my opinion once the shoplifter committed the crime he/she is responsible for any incedent afterwords.

  8. #68
    Senior Member CaptTater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    20,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "

  9. #69
    Senior Member CaptTater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    20,019
    I worked in Sears LP for about a year on a special project. Saddest one we got was a cop stealing a pocket knife. Too bad they (the rest) were about the lowest paid people in the store. When at RadShack a manager tried to take down some thieves and got the killed.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by HOME DEPOT GEORGE View Post
    Security Leak are you still with the Depot ? I just celebrated 14 years. I know what you mean by some of these lowlifes fighting. A while back I had to assist my lp as he was having a rough time with a suspect and I grabbed the guy by the ankles an took him off his feet,about the same time a trooper who was in our lot came over the back of me with his tazer and the jerk still fought,the funny thing was when he was cuffed and they lifted his pant leg he had over 100 staples in his leg from his foot to his kneecap and they were fresh. In my opinion once the shoplifter committed the crime he/she is responsible for any incedent afterwords.
    No, I have been gone for over three years. When they cut the HR people I knew LP was next and a few months later the cut into LP. I decided to take the severance package and hit the road instead of switching to an Op's manager position. From what I have heard the company has really changed and not for the better. I don't miss it at all. Even though many may think that once a shoplifter has stolen something they are responsible for the outcome but it is not true in this day and age. In the good old days though there were not many rules so if they fought they were fair game. Today it will get you fired and sued.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •