Big seas, cold and raining sideways...

Florida Sportsman

Big seas, cold and raining sideways...

Had a chance to get out and attempt some catching today. Met up with forum member Javier AKA Optimum7 at B&M this morning. Loaded up on Fiddlers along with various essentials and made our way to the boat launch. I noticed that we had a 40% chance of rain today but being the guy that has zero faith in weather prediction, i went along with our plan anyways. Got just shy of the base and we were greeted by big rollers and strong easterly wind. Things started looking awful right off the bat. We changed our course and headed for the Little Jetties. Not sure why but the Sheepshead were just not biting. We sat it out for a good hour or so and it appeared that the rough weather in the Inlet may have subsided. We dragged up and headed back out and the inlet was looking like glass(minus the points). Made for the southern point and went to work. The bite was there but very slow. To make matters worse, we were both turning various shades of green and needed to get the hell away from those rollers. We headed over to the north rocks and sat as close to the rocks as possible. The swells were much smaller there and we continued searching for the Sheepshead. Sensing an impending skunking, i went ahead and halved up a Blue Crab and put some lines out to maybe get a Red or Drum bite. The Sheep continued being elusive but luckily, i start hearing thumping noise coming from behind me and sure enough, the Crab rig is completely hunched over getting slammed! A few minutes later and i have a nice little 31" Red in the boat. Snapped a pic and tried for another one. By this time, the rain has really started coming down. We are drenched and freezing our stones off. Im getting my jacket back on and Javier is saying "Fish on, grab the rod"! I look over and we got another nice fish slamming the Crab rig. This time it's Javiers turn. A few minutes later and we have another hefty Red Fish in the boat. Wasn't long before we had enough of the conditions and went back in. We lasted till about noon. I can tell Javier is gonna be a fun guy to fish with. We had some terrible luck today but i think we will get back out there and try it again on Saturday.

176 SPORTSMAN

Orange Park, FL, for now we move like gypsies
    Thank you for the Hospitality Steve, Is always great to be outdoors and a few Redfish sure saved the day. Hopefully Mother nature will be kind to us next time.

Nice report guys, way to charge it!
    I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach

Well the weather man has to be right every once and a while.

Uh... Steve... I have a tournament on Satuday. I'm starting to wonder if you are the one that is bringing on this crappy weather when you go out.... could you stay home on Saturday? LOL Seriously though - Even in the worst weather you bring on the fish! And YOU turned GREEN??? Were the swells bigger than they were when we were out? NO WAY. WOW. I'd probably be hanging off the side of the boat crying like a girl. lol

I'll be out there with Bill and my friend - swing by and say hello! We have to somehow get a double slam (read: no f'ing way) so I have a feeling we'll be fishing for anything and will hopefully at least have our two trout to take back at 3. lol

Good ol' Timmy boy is calling for 0% chance of rain and just fog. It's not the "20%" that usually translates into full on rain. Should be a great day (hope I didn't just jinx us)!
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum7 View Post
    Thank you for the Hospitality Steve, Is always great to be outdoors and a few Redfish sure saved the day. Hopefully Mother nature will be kind to us next time.
    No problem Javier! We will do better tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by FinReaper View Post
    Nice report guys, way to charge it!
    Thanks Fin! Me you and Steve will get out soon as Steve gets some time off. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by rookiemistake View Post
    Well the weather man has to be right every once and a while.
    He can be right when im not fishing lol...

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueo View Post
    Uh... Steve... I have a tournament on Satuday. I'm starting to wonder if you are the one that is bringing on this crappy weather when you go out.... could you stay home on Saturday? LOL Seriously though - Even in the worst weather you bring on the fish! And YOU turned GREEN??? Were the swells bigger than they were when we were out? NO WAY. WOW. I'd probably be hanging off the side of the boat crying like a girl. lol

I'll be out there with Bill and my friend - swing by and say hello! We have to somehow get a double slam (read: no f'ing way) so I have a feeling we'll be fishing for anything and will hopefully at least have our two trout to take back at 3. lol

Good ol' Timmy boy is calling for 0% chance of rain and just fog. It's not the "20%" that usually translates into full on rain. Should be a great day (hope I didn't just jinx us)!
    Jacky, bad news girl, we are going back to try it again tomorrow! Yah, the water was rolling pretty bad on the points. Those real clean slow rollers are the ones that will actually get to me. White caps and chop don't usually bother me. The clean slow ones will ruin my day in a hurry... Give me a call and i'll help point you in the right direction. All 3 parts of your Slam are in the Inlet. Just need to bring 1/4oz Jigheads and a few float rigs to make it happen. In the mean time, look up how to rig up a float rig using a bobber stopper. A bobber set to about 8 feet on the outside of the jetty points, baited with live Shrimp, will produce solid Specs and slot Reds. Dave Sipler is the master of float rigs in the inlet and very open to give advice on the subject. Ive learned a lot from this guy. If you need any specifics on locations, boat positioning, rigs or anything else just call me. It's best to pre rig the night before. The Flounder are all over the rock lines literally right up against the rocks. That's Where you will want to have a dozen or so Finger Mullet available. Just hook the Mullet by the lips using a 1/4oz Jighead. Get the bait close as possible to the rocks and very slowly retrieve. Very slow. Turn the crank every few seconds. Should be pausing a lot. Fan cast the rock line and cover as much area as you can. Warning though, you will get hung up frequently, but that's Jetty fishing.
    176 SPORTSMAN

WOW STEVE! That's SO MUCH AWESOME info!!!!! Thank you SOO MUCH! This is all GREAT information. I'm hoping that A) I don't bust my @ss out there again (by the way - my arm and @ss are STILL a purple/green color from the cartoon like slip I took last week... and I'm STILL laughing about it) B) I don't get sick again (I'll be putting that patch on tonight just in case lol , C)I get at least one fish to bring back for anything more than 0 points. LOL With your notes I have high hopes! We leave out of sisters and will be heading out your way! I'll give you a call for sure! Tight lines tomorrow!!! (And no *****ty weather lol)
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl.

If you happen to see a big shore fisherman along hecksher somewhere looking like he is getting aggrivated because he isnt catching anything,dont be afraid to pick him up and take him out to the jetties....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Morocco_madness View Post
    No problem Javier! We will do better tomorrow.

Thanks Fin! Me you and Steve will get out soon as Steve gets some time off. Looking forward to it.

He can be right when im not fishing lol...

Jacky, bad news girl, we are going back to try it again tomorrow! Yah, the water was rolling pretty bad on the points. Those real clean slow rollers are the ones that will actually get to me. White caps and chop don't usually bother me. The clean slow ones will ruin my day in a hurry... Give me a call and i'll help point you in the right direction. All 3 parts of your Slam are in the Inlet. Just need to bring 1/4oz Jigheads and a few float rigs to make it happen. In the mean time, look up how to rig up a float rig using a bobber stopper. A bobber set to about 8 feet on the outside of the jetty points, baited with live Shrimp, will produce solid Specs and slot Reds. Dave Sipler is the master of float rigs in the inlet and very open to give advice on the subject. Ive learned a lot from this guy. If you need any specifics on locations, boat positioning, rigs or anything else just call me. It's best to pre rig the night before. The Flounder are all over the rock lines literally right up against the rocks. That's Where you will want to have a dozen or so Finger Mullet available. Just hook the Mullet by the lips using a 1/4oz Jighead. Get the bait close as possible to the rocks and very slowly retrieve. Very slow. Turn the crank every few seconds. Should be pausing a lot. Fan cast the rock line and cover as much area as you can. Warning though, you will get hung up frequently, but that's Jetty fishing.
    I'll be out there tomorrow, I'll probably try inshore first then head out to the rocks. Catch em up!
    I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach

I'm working all weekend. You guys are killing me. Steve, I text'd you earlier looking for fillets for the boat parade party in Palm Valley. I gave you an invite too!!! Gonna be fuuuuuun!
    Matt, I already owe you on the fish donations but......
    They got me on fry duty. Help a brubba out. You're welcome to come too!