strange catch at matanzas inlet? 12/02

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

strange catch at matanzas inlet? 12/02

Long time follower but first time report poster. Well I recently got married 11/20/12 and one of the gifts from my wife was a new Penn Spinfisher V, so armed with the excuse of, my best friend I haven't seen in 2 years coming to visit in a week and wanting some black drum, we headed to matanzas inlet to catch the low tide. I was also trying out some jigs and I was reeling in one of my jigs I saw what I thought was a big squid go behind me in about 12" of water. It swam by and went beside a rock and as my jig was coming in all I see is long arms reaching out and snatch the jig under. After a tug of war battle what I brought in was an octopus. It's the first ever one for me. I was curious if anyone else has caught one around here? And needless to say I caught 0 black drum . If anyone has tips on where and what to use around the flagler to matanzas area I would greatly appreciate it as my days get numbered ,I've got everyday between today and the 12th thanks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3517.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	60673

That's cool... Did you release it? Those things are quite smart if you can get past hooking itself. Drum are there on the north side on Matanzas in the holes off the beach.
    Older.....Slower....but I still put the fear of GOD in the fishes..........

That's crazy!!
    Long time surf fishermen here and never seen one come in. Very nice catch

You know how to make a first post for sure welcome to the fun. Hope we see more of ya
    Dave
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slug-O View Post
    Those things are quite smart...
    While in Jr. high school we had two aquariums in one of our classrooms. One had fish the other an octopus. The fish started disappearing one by one and no one could figure out how. One night the teacher visited her classroom and found the octopus had crawled (slithered, slimed, slid, slud?) out of its aquarium and into the aquarium with the fish for a night of hunting. The octopus had caught another fish and thus the mystery solved.

That is amazing! So how did you get the hook out and get it back in the water? I don't know much about the Octopus, but I believe that some of them are venomous. Just not sure if any of those species are on the east coast.

I ended up with one in the boat at mayport jetties one time, it was tough to get him out.
    Also saw one just under the water on a piling when I was fishing for sheephead. That was pretty cool to see him move around.

Dang thats cool. I caught one off shore before.... heard they are incredible grouper bait, but dont know. I would feel bad lol, cause it does seem like these things are smart! That aqaurium story is pretty damn incredible!
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

That is awesome... They're not venomous.. He might squirt ink on you while you're trying to peel him off your arm which is quite funny to watch and he may even give you a nice bite with his beak but otherwise, harmless. They are really neat creatures, excellent contortionists and have camouflage abilities that are out of this world!

They are great eating: ensalada de pulpo con tostones y ajo.

I think these things are awesome. My friend Billy catches them on my boat every now and then. Never hooked one myself. That beak can mess you up. Careful with them. Here's some more. Good job by the way. Did a little research and it turns out that all Octopus species are venomous to some degree. The bites react to the body similarly to that of the Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spider. Causes head Aches, muscle aches and necrosis around the wound. The Red octopus(also the one you caught) has a report on this page: http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/octobite.php

Last edited by Morocco_madness; 12-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    176 SPORTSMAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast