I've had it with Sage...

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I've had it with Sage...

Had my xi2 break (again) in the butt section on a fish. I've never had another one of my rods break on fish (no I don't high-stick) over 10+ years.

That's not my issue though.

Mailed it to them for repairs that cost me the shipping fees there and then $50 for the repair. It took them 1 1/2 months to get to it and call me about payment. After they get my money they will start on the repair which is estimated to take another month.

This is complete BS, I use lifetime warranty gear so it can be replaced / repaired in a reasonable amount of time. For an $800 rod and $50 fee they should be shipping me a brand new rod immediately like every other decent company out there.

St Croix, Scott and TFO are top notch when it comes to this in my experience.

I'm done with Sage, I'll be selling that thing when I get it back.

I still have four Sage rods and some of them have been back to them more than once in a year's time.... My usual routine is to contact them first to find out what the current warranty service rate is, then write a letter enclosing a check for that amount with the rod and send it in. That's worked well for the past sixteen years or so - but I must admit that other outfits are cheaper and a bit quicker (the last rod we broke was a TFO and I was pleasantly surprised at the relatively low cost and quick turnaround....

Being able to send a broken rod out under a warranty if far preferable to having to build a replacement rod (I've done that on more than one occasion with spinning or plug rods but fly rods take a bit more time to build so I've come to rely on the fly rod manufacturer....). As a result I've pretty much quit building fly rods......
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Orvis....25 year warranty...guaranteed.....very easy to deal with.

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2015 Ankona Cayenne
    www.shadowcastcharters.com

Broke a 12wt Xi2 earlier this year leadering a poon solo (high sticked - my fault). Sent it in with the $50 check and got a new one back about 3 months later. Only problem was that the rod they sent be back had a fighting grip, which mine did not. Sent it back again and took another 6 weeks or so to get another replacement. They used to be incredible. My first fly rod was a 890rplx that I was given as a gift when I was 13. I managed to break that rod at least once a year for the next five years. Every time I sent it in, I got it back within a couple weeks with no questions asked. Don't even think they charged me back then. They aint what they used to be!

I've broken Sage and TFO rods. TFO's service is far faster.

What are yall doing to break so many rods? I've only broken one fly rod in 15 years of fly fishing and it was pretty much my fault, I tried to use the tip to get a snag out of some oysters...

I'm glad to hear everyone talking good things about TFO. In a matter of 3 weeks I've managed to brake both my 8wt and 10wt rods. Looks like I will be chasing the bulls on spinning gear this fall. TFO warranty is no fault and a reasonable $25 shipping cost. Hope the turn around is speedy!

I had to send two rods into sage earlier this year. They broke about 2 weeks apart, and one took almost 3 months to get back (as a naked blank, not a production rod). It is what it is.

It's a shame, cause they still are making some of the best blanks, but clearly they no longer put the customer above profits.

If I were to hazard a guess.... I'd say the sheer volume of "lifetime warranty" rods that Sage has sold over the years is catching up with them. I suspect at some point they'll begin either slowing down their turnaround time or actually put some limits on their warranties. I have at least one or two rods that have been broken and repaired/replaced three times or more....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast