Question about Flamingo........

Florida Sportsman

Question about Flamingo........

Hey all,

I love fishing Flamingo and a friend of mine just offered me to buy his boat. He has a 17' Proline Stalker, it is a heavy boat with more of a V than I wanted but for the price I really cant pass it up.
    I dont know what the boat drafts but im sure its approx 2' or more. Will I have a problem in Flamingo?, Im sure ill be ok if I stay in the channels. Will I look wierd to others watching me bring this heavier boat in? Most boats ive seen there are flats, skiffs and occasional Bays.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by domhpd View Post
    Hey all,

I love fishing Flamingo and a friend of mine just offered me to buy his boat. He has a 17' Proline Stalker, it is a heavy boat with more of a V than I wanted but for the price I really cant pass it up.
    I dont know what the boat drafts but im sure its approx 2' or more. Will I have a problem in Flamingo?, Im sure ill be ok if I stay in the channels. Will I look wierd to others watching me bring this heavier boat in? Most boats ive seen there are flats, skiffs and occasional Bays.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Dom
    I thinking your giving the draft with the outboard trimmed down....Next time you see one of those Flamingo boats on the trailer look how far down the lower unit goes beyond the keel. They probably have the same draft. The difference will be once you trim the outboard up out of the water and pole around. Good Luck and learn the area.

Dom, before you buy a boat you might want to spend some time on as many different skiffs as you possibly can. That boat you've been offered might be just what you need or it might be a poor deal... I do a lot of fishing out of Flamingo and there's room there for every kind of boat from little dinks only 12' long to good sized bay boats in the 22 to 24' size range. The difference between them all is what each size or style will let you do --and the kind of fishing you're wanting to get into.. A big bay boat with a Power Pole, a big motor and a high powered trolling motor makes a great platform for live baiting (those guys catch their bait by net or sabiki style bait rigs - then go fishing). Many mid-sized "flats boats" aren't used any differently by their owners -but the mid-sized crowd will generally be using a lures a lot more.... Skiffs meant to be poled are a bit smaller, generally 17' or less and the high end "technical poling skiffs" were generally designed for poling from the beginning. One of the best (and cheapest) rigs for a beginner at Flamingo is nothing more than a 16' jonboat with a 40hp tiller steered motor that's had a platform added, front and rear as well as clips to hold a pushpole. Run aground in a jonboat and you'll just about always be able to get going again (they'll pound you running in a chop, and can be wet riding as well, but they're hard to beat for low cost durability while still able to float in around six inches of water...).

If you can't find anyone to fish with consider doing a booking or two with guides that work out of that area (try to find a partner or two so that the cost is less). Also try to get out with someone that works out of the size boat you're considering and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have. You'll learn more in day on the water with the right guide than you will in a year on your own.

Good luck, post up what you decide...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

thank you both for your replies.

Bob, ive fished Flamingo numerous times, been out once on a 22 Pathfinder and rest of times we rent the skiffs from the marina. We do not catch our own bait, ive tried to do that cast netting thing and it looked like a tangled mess. No room for a trolling motor since the front deck gunnels are higher. We stay on the inside WWB and a tad bith further, we go out for mangos and reds, there is no need to veer that off for us. I just dont want to get grounded, mind you I will be cognizant of tides and depthfinder readings. one of the guys that goes with us is knowlegeable of the area and has gone out with Benny Blanco numerous times so I trust him and would tell me where to navigate.

I also like the versatility to hit patch reefs, but we do 85% of our fishing at Flamingo

You'll be fine running through the posted channels. Fishing WWB and the rivers and coast, you'll be fine. Should do good if you're out there soaking live baits. If you want a technical boat to get up shallow for big game fish, definitely the wrong boat.

Quote Originally Posted by paint it black View Post
    You'll be fine running through the posted channels. Fishing WWB and the rivers and coast, you'll be fine. Should do good if you're out there soaking live baits. If you want a technical boat to get up shallow for big game fish, definitely the wrong boat.

no doubt its the wrong boat for shallows, i dont need to get that shallow anyways, usually the areas we hit is between 5-10 feet.

Thanks all for your replies