Guana Preserve? What can you tell me about it?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Guana Preserve? What can you tell me about it?

After spending a few uneventful hours down at Vilano inlet (and FYI - the sand is SOFT down there! - Kajo thought I was going to have to give you a call! lol) as my regular Jaguar game day routine, I packed it up and headed home. I have heard you guys talk so much about Gate Station that I had to at least check it out. I had to be home by 4:30 so I didn't have much time, but it was worth at least popping in for a 1/2 hour to see what it was all about. Not too shabby! I'll have to head back there on a day when I'm ready to actually catch something lol. So when I was leaving I caught a glimpse of Guana too. Thinking about going back there sometime this week. What can you guys tell me about it? Noticed a ton of people in the water fishing - I'm just not into wading and fishing. Is there fishing worth while if I'm not in the water? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl.

awesome fishing if you can get through people..rough crowd there..during the week is better but still crowded..

lots of reds, drum but the people you saw were flounder fishing..loaded with them now..

let me know when you are planning on going..i only work mon and wed so im fishing lots this week..its our busy season so
    i have been working and not fishing lately but i need some time off..lol
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com

Sounds good. I work mon-thurs though and was thinking Friday if I can get all of my stuff done during the week. I'll let u know.
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl.

Heres the link to a good website for Guana Lake.

http://www.guanalakefishing.com/index.html

Orange Park, FL, for now we move like gypsies
    How do you fish for Flounder there? I would love to put my hands on a few Flounder!

My advice is to go in a group so you all can stand next to each other and fish so if you tangle lines, you don't have a problem. If you go there alone and fish in the crowd, I suggest you take a 3 month kickboxing class before you head out. Be prepared to get your lines cut if tangled with others. BUT there is a lot of fish to be caught when the dam opens. They open the dam on a strong noreaster or when the tide swing is over 5'6" I believe. Give Guana a try if you are that desperate to catch fish or if you are tough enough and don't mind a tough crowd and Guana is a closer spot. Otherwise stay away from Guana when the dam opens and fish in peace on other areas. BTW, the max HP on a boat is 9.9 HP to be on the lake I think. Good Luck!

Arun.

There are a bunch of "fishemen" there that think they own the dam. They seem to keep everything too. When I went, I didn't have a problem but then again, I'm 6'2, 230.
    Just go with a few people and don't put up with any crap.

Yea it would be a bad day if someone cut my line for sure

Had some lady yell at Michel and her hubby shushed her pretty fast when I yelled back.

I avoid the area most of the time
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com

Orange Park, FL, for now we move like gypsies
    not that desperate to fish there, peace and enjoyment 1st, fish 2nd!!
    thank you for advice!

I would advise against fishing the dam on a flood unless a. You want to lose all faith in humanity b. You want to get arrested c. You feel like murdering someone. Those people at the dam when it floods are barely a step above people in prison IMO. If I have ever come close to getting arrested fishing, it was about the second weekend I lived in Jacksonville and took my jon boat to Guana. I saw stuff that growing up as a catch and release bass fisherman, made me sick, and I wasn't afraid to tell people. I should have kept my mouth shut as a buddy and I almost ended up getting our azzes kicked and arrested, but after watching the third or fourth person walk a 35" redfish to the trunk of their car and leaving others to die on the concrete after catching them, I got pretty pizzed off and started chewing people out. They didn't like that.

I think (hope) it is better now with that learning center there and more police traffic, but it's a joke when that dam is flooding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast