Low-Wage Jobs Cause More Problems Than They Solve - Page 4

Florida Sportsman

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    As the world becomes more complex, there will be an increase in specialized vocational training paths to getting a decent job. A college degree isn't for everyone and isn't necessary. If there is demand for weaved baskets, then training in baskeweaving will be more important than a formal degree. Unfortunately a good percentage of the masses could care less about being self sufficient and making their own way. It crosses racial lines and seems to be the way of "Generation Entitlement".

Just drink the god d*mned koolaid!

Quote Originally Posted by SWFL_F1sh0n View Post
    UH?
    Its 7.30 AM and you already won the moron trophy for the day. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by navigator2 View Post
    Where else would they go if all menial jobs were eliminated? The world needs ditch diggers too (or it used to). I am not one of them.
    And that is a good thing.

My apologies. I did thought that you had made that quip so I was being humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by navigator2 View Post
    As the world becomes more complex, there will be an increase in specialized vocational training paths to getting a decent job. A college degree isn't for everyone and isn't necessary. If there is demand for weaved baskets, then training in baskeweaving will be more important than a formal degree. Unfortunately a good percentage of the masses could care less about being self sufficient and making their own way. It crosses racial lines and seems to be the way of "Generation Entitlement".
    I agree with most of what you are saying, but I blame the education system for much of the malaise in the work force. Students are taught to pass a test and not allowed to explore what they are capable of these days. Too many good students end up being held back by what teachers are forced to do until they just give up trying to actually learn more than the tests.

College isn't for everyone. You don't need a college degree to be a good consultant. You just have to know your craft. It's time to streamline education to get the most out of learning when you hit the college years. Start giving out specialized degrees that show you are qualified for certain jobs and then let them go to college part time to earn a bachelors degree or more if that's what they want.

I recently interviewed with a company and met a guy who looked down at me while he talked about his two maters degrees and the 10 patents he had and how smart he was. After listening to this guy go on I finally had enough. I asked him if he had two masters degrees and 10 patents why he was sitting behind a particle board desk in a 5'x6' office, dressing like he shopped at Wal-Mart and working for someone else? His patents were either worthless or belonged to someone else. I then started asking him questions about the job and questioned why he was using such an outdated technology to try and obtain the results that were better met by the latest technology. After he stammered a while I cut him off and said the reason was because he had sat back on those degrees and never kept educating himself. I might not have his two masters degrees but I was obviously in tune more with technology than he was. I then got up and told his boss I didn't wish to be considered for the contract. I thought his boss was going to fall over with laughter over the issue.

Concise to say I've met many smart people without a college degree and many dumb people with one. It's time to help people figure out what they can do in life and not try to rubber stamp them all with a useless college degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Conchy Cracker View Post
    There has always been low paying jobs and they aren't going away.

The problem is the amount of them, when you have a single company, walmart, employing 1.5 million people that's a lot of low paying jobs.

And yes they may be entry level but there are no more next step jobs in the market. You can't leave walmart when you are 18 and get a higher paying manufacturing job any more.... because they don't exist.

And for those claiming they need to get more skills and an education.... well that costs money doesn't it and if you think all the cashiers of the world can eventually be employed by NASA you need to rethink what the problem really is.
    Certainly not NASA....
    But...there are many jobs out there, for which there is actually a shortage of "eligible" employees and no these are not all 4 year degree jobs either...
    Yes it is true....the days of taking you place next to dad at the steel mill are over.....
    But there are many mainframe proggie and analyst jobs to be had....as well as project management and BA work.....yes I know they only pay between 30 and 80 bucks an hour but it is a start.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?...page_new_likes

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBobBryant View Post
    Certainly not NASA....
    But...there are many jobs out there, for which there is actually a shortage of "eligible" employees and no these are not all 4 year degree jobs either...
    Yes it is true....the days of taking you place next to dad at the steel mill are over.....
    But there are many mainframe proggie and analyst jobs to be had....as well as project management and BA work.....yes I know they only pay between 30 and 80 bucks an hour but it is a start.
    I believe the estimate is 3.2M skilled jobs going unfilled. Quite a number. There is another issue however. I know companies that wouldn't interview one of these guys without a bachelors degree and some of those guys have over 20 years experience. the problem is in the HR department.

One of companies I am contracting at now claims they have 300 openings, yet they also have a hiring freeze. Quite the contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by DBRYAN View Post
    I believe the estimate is 3.2M skilled jobs going unfilled. Quite a number. There is another issue however. I know companies that wouldn't interview one of these guys without a bachelors degree and some of those guys have over 20 years experience. the problem is in the HR department.

One of companies I am contracting at now claims they have 300 openings, yet they also have a hiring freeze. Quite the contradiction.
    That's all about squeezing as much out of us contractors as they can....I just love billable hours.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?...page_new_likes

Certainly not NASA....
    That's nice but the jobs that are out there that pay well are not relevant to the article. The detrimental effects of low paying jobs are. It's time to stop the "entitlement" mindset that many corporations have that they can pay poverty wages and allow taxpayers to make up the difference through welfare. Higher wages would benefit the country, lift people out of poverty and give people incentive to leave welfare behind.
    Corruption is the enemy. Lobbyists and the FED have ruined the country.

Certainly not NASA....

So in a nut shell you are saying that the kids coming out of college today are not having any problems getting jobs paying from 50-100k per year.....

What color is the sky in your world?

Quote Originally Posted by DBRYAN View Post
    So only black illiterates work fast food? Thanks for sharing.
    Where did you read that? Go to a target and see how many white idiots are in the same boat. A friend of mine has 2 daughters and bother are knocked up again before 20. You think they'll get an education.
    COngrats on being the first racist to throw the race card on this thread though.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "

Not really trying to flame, but I just woke-up will be blunt. Low wage jobs are meant for HS and college kids and as a part time gig for extra money. Any adult that has to work a low wage job as a profession is getting what they put into life.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast