If you could take 3 or 4 day fishing trip anywhere in FL where would it be? - Page 4

Florida Sportsman

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    From someone who has fished every square inch of Florida since I first moved here in 1982, I will recommend Everglades City/Chokoloskee/10k Islands. Flamingo is good too, but you will have much faster access to both types of fishing (Back country & flats) out of 10k. You design the trip to be as “Text book” or “Adventurous” as you want it to be. Adventurous meaning………….there are very few expeditions that compare to heading south through the 10k and/or the wilderness waterway, camping on small sand/shell barrier islands or on designated chickees, fishing along the way and taking in all of what “Old Florida” has to offer……..eventually making it down to Flamingo and heading back north. I’ve done this trip many times by boat, and hands down (IMO) the overall experience is simply awesome. You will be one on one with nature, the diversity and the excellent fishing of the everglades. I would not do this solo on a kayak your first time around. From a text book standpoint, you will have endless miles of daily backcountry and fishing from a yak. “Follow the tide out and follow it back in”. Bugs are not too bad this time of the year………..but bring plenty of hard core bug repellent just in case.

Everglades city or Islamorada. Everglades city is more of my style of fishing but I can't resist chasing bonefish and permit in Islamorada. I have a fellow Captain from my pro team that fishes Islamorada and another Captain in Key West. All those places sound great to me. I just need a vacation.

And to put things into perspective, its approx 55 miles from Chokoloskee south to the Cape and another 10.5 miles from the Cape to Flamingo if you follow the coast all the way down or an approximate 52-53 miles taking the inland water way all the way down. If you are going to fish more than explore, and this is your first time to the area in a yak, you will most likely never make more than 5-10 miles from choko in a 3-4 day period, as there is that much "Fishy" water and nature to take in.

You now have me me wanting to put together a 3-4 day 10k excursion! Anyone interested?

Bonita or Sanibel. Thats why I live here.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Thanks for all the input. Starting Sunday looks like I'm going to camp in Little Talbot State park for 3 days (maybe Anastasia state park) then Mosquito lagoon and spoil island camping 3/4 days, east side. These are 2 place I've never been before so this is why I'm headed there. Thanks for all the input. Things may change so keep the suggestions coming.

If any wants to meet up for fishing let me know. Any suggestion or fishing tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Anastasia is a beautiful place and Little Talbot is nice as well.

Fished/boated Little Talbot & Anastasia areas more times than I can count & everywhere in between. Driving down 105 there are many places to put in kayak/canoe. By South end of Nassau Sd. bridge there's a fine boat ramp & record Southern flounder was caught in these waters during December.

Recommend Huguenot Park/Ft. George Sd. good free launch site near South end of that 105/Hecksher Dr. bridge, can fish Ft. George & St. Johns Rivers & Atlantic. Have enjoyed seeing U.S. NAVY Mayport & it's close to Joseph's Italian restaurant just a short way down 17/Main St.

definitely flamingo.... or sanibel and pine island sound.... or just anywhere in swfl

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234