Homosassa Offshore 11/27 Gags and Reds with Doc and Mike

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homosassa Offshore 11/27 Gags and Reds with Doc and Mike

Lee. Mike and I set out for deep water to dig up some red grouper. After finding out we had overwritten all of our GPS informaqtion we found an area with a modest bite. As we worked that area Lee managed to get the GPS info off a sd card and we ran only a half mile to the area we intended to fish. Large gags were taking our baits and putting a serious hurting on our tackle. No hot bite but we moved around from point to point and kept the bite going. after all the action came to a hault we boxed a few red grouper and a big pile of grunts for the table. All fish were caught on frozen cut bait. Flat seas, good company and perfect weather made for another excellent day on the bay here on the Nature Coast.

This place Rocks if yer a crabber

I say Mogans, nice catch Kyle, glad your back in the main-stream

We were going to go offshore today but had a few people back out. Decided to take the easy road (and cheap) and go inshore. Looks like you guys wore out your arms.

It was a great day to be offshore. Hey, you need to let me back up all your gps numbers on my machine, you know, just in case yours crashes or something.

Nice fish fellas

Nice.....great to hear your hip is working out fine.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways.

Nice catch Kyle, guess I should have gone offshore as well yesterday. Still trying to master the inshore bites. Very cool morning in Crystal River. Started out with a low tide, Black Grass flats, Mangrove Flats, real nice water there. We did find one hole off of Gomez rocks about 18 ft., caught lizard fish and one sea bass. Went in to Salt River area as tide coming, threw everything at them, top water, cut bait, Mirrodines, popping corks etc. Great day on the water, but real slow fishing, did notice water temp was only 65 - 65 degrees.
    Not giving up yet, will keep trying to master this flats fishing deal.

Tight work fellas good to see you back at it hard as ever Kyle, now are you on your new ride yet or were you a guest on Lees boat?

What a long strange trip it's been.

I exported my numbers to an SD card the other day so that I could rename some of the newer spots with the computer. The way the Humminbird works, you need to delete the existing navigation data in the machine's memory before inserting a loaded SD card or else all of the numbers in common will be duplicated. So I deleted the internal memory including >300 fishing spots and put in the card with the updated data. Only problem was that it wouldn't recognize the card.

So rather than screw around, we decided to do it old school and find new spots. Running out of Tarpon Springs years ago, we would head up to the "Double 300's" on the old Loran coordinates and just start looking for fish and/or bottom. That would take us off the Homosassa area in about 55 ft of water. There is so much live bottom in that area that we never bothered writing down the numbers of the spots we fished. The fish moved around anyway, so it wasn't worth the effort. I've been telling Kyle for years that you don't need no stinkin' numbers to fish out of here. So we ran out to 55 ft using the heading for the first spot that I intended to fish using just the compass and autopilot. At 55 ft we moved generally north looking for good bottom. After an hour and a half of looking and a couple of drops we had 1 fish in the box. I had the hardest time finding decent looking bottom. After eating some large black corvid (that's crow for you nonbiologists) I decided to work hard on getting the SD card to read. I was finally able to get the contacts cleaned using my T shirt and a fish hook to push the cloth into the contacts.

Once the numbers loaded up, we learned that our first drop was within 0.1 miles of the exact spot we intended to fish! But 0.1 miles is the same as 100 miles when you fish for grouper and you get no points for getting close. Looking at the tracks we followed before loading the numbers, it looked as if we were intentionally avoiding the rocky areas.

But the fun didn't stop there. Kyle had the idea to try bottom chumming since the sharks should be pretty much gone by now. We were having the usually problem of lines and fish getting caught in the chum bag rope so Kyle decided we had enough and went to pull in the chum. But he left his baited rod in the water and of course a fish hits it and pulls it overboard. Mike almost got it back with his rod, but just like finding good bottom close isn't enough.

After Kyle stomped around the boat blowing off steam and almost blowing off is new hip, he switched over to a guppy outfit: a Garcia 5000 reel mounted on what looked like a fly rod blank. He said that he didn't want to lose any of my extra grouper rod. He was still PO'ed and just being stubborn. Mike was new to grouper fishing and he was also using bass tackle: a Shimano Corvalus 400 on a light rod. While they were both using heavy braid the fish were rocking them up pretty often. Especially the monster gags. They had no chance. But they did get a bunch of keeper reds on that light gear. We sure went through a lot of terminal tackle. To compensate, I was using one of my old 8.5 ft grouper digger rods and a Penn reel that hadn't been grouper fishing for 32 years. For some reason I was the only one to boat a few large gags. But even with that heavy outfit I was getting rocked up and cut off by the big slugs.

It all ended well, which is what counts. Lot's of laughs and calm seas. It was 67 degrees at 62 ft and a degree cooler at 55. We saw a surprising number of bait schools o the way in. There might still be some pelagics around if the weather stays warm for the next week or so.

Another rod off to the deep! Oh well. Actually I only got rocked once but I did get cut off a couple times learning the hard way not to bring a knife to a gun fight. The rig I resorted to using was my grunt rig and indeed it was no match for the brutes that were around on this day. So while Lee was filling my SD card with photos of his outsized gags Mike and I were filling the box with dinner....everybody wins and I am in the market for a couple "Old School" Penn Senators 3/0's!
    Incedently it was funnjy as heck pulling up a 8lb red grouper on that light action bass rod. Leee tried to get a pic of it bent like a pretzel but the fight was over by then.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Doc, 2 HB update ago the process for loading #'s changed. The HB has to be on then insert the sd card and it will ask if you want to load data. They also recommend going to the setup tab in advanced mode and formatting the Nav Data Directories every once in awhile after you have export all the nav data. SUpposed to get rid of bad pointers to deleted data.

If you send me your files I will store a backup copy for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast