boat shed with in 5 feet of the property line
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

boat shed with in 5 feet of the property line

anyone ever put a car port type cover or shed next to their house where it encroaches within five feet of our property line? I see them all over the place close to others fences and I keep hearing from some (mostly the wife) that if I do that I will get in trouble or something. there is no HOA and my neighbors are cool so should I go for it?

I live in a section of Mandarin that is non-HOAville. My neighbors carport for his RV on the side of his house is about 2' from the fence. No clue what the law is, but can't see it being an issue as long as your neighbor is cool. If you neighbor is not cool, I'd wait to see what the law is.

Quote Originally Posted by natural angler View Post
    anyone ever put a car port type cover or shed next to their house where it encroaches within five feet of our property line? I see them all over the place close to others fences and I keep hearing from some (mostly the wife) that if I do that I will get in trouble or something. there is no HOA and my neighbors are cool so should I go for it?
    Just make sure you do everything right, especially the permit. I live in Clay county in a decent subdivision with a non mandatory civic association. Twelve years ago I had Florida Metal Structures put up a nice boat shelter in my backyard, all the way in the back. Had my immediate neighbors give me written notice that they had no objections. At that time, the county had a 5 ft rule from the edge of the property. I wanted to go 3 foot from the edge. The contractor advised to get neighbor's written approval which I did. The contractor did everything else, pull the permit and install the shelter. Three years ago, someone got a wild hair up their butt and decided to complain to the county code enforcement. At that time, they could file a complaint without identifying themselves so i have no idea who complained. They have since changed the no identity rule. Code Enforcement came out and I was cited for being out of code. Went before the magistrate twice and lost. After more than nine years of being built, I was forced to tear it down. The reason, Florida Metal Structures had filled the original permit papers out incorrectly, putting 7 feet from the edge of the property instead of 3 feet. I never checked the permit, my mistake. I assumed that this legimate company would handle everything correctly. They are no longer in business so I lose and worse than that, my boat now sits out in the elements. Clay County would not issue a variance for me to keep it in the same location. Could have moved it at a huge expense to me. more concrete poured etc, decided against doing that as it would have been in a unsightly location. Bottomline...CYA!
    Last edited by Shel; 11-27-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Dang shel...that really sucks. I wonder how whoever complained about that building feels about themselves. What harm was it causing??? that just sucks...

Had a 10x16 shed built in Mandarin 16 years ago and the code was 2 feet from the property line.

If it is fabric on poles staked to the ground and can be moved easily just put it there.

Look on your plot plan survey with the house. You will want to see what the side clearance is and if there is a drainage easement (usually a swale) or a utility easement down that side. You will want to look up the restrictions for your neighborhood. Even houses with no HOA were zoned for particular dimensions when the street/development/lot was permited. They are all a little different.

You can look up the general information here...............http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=12174

Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.

thanks guys

I think if its not a "permanent structure", it wouldnt matter and even if someone did raise a stink, you could move it a couple of feet to comply.. I know the metal car ports are moved easily, moved a couple myself.