Camping 2 Nights In 30 Degree Weather: Need Advice - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member southboundchicken's Avatar
    how bout that temp update ??...... wonder if its feeling 30 now

Thanks for the clarification on LTI... can you go by boat (I know you can drive there) - i.e., can you leave your boat beached while you camp overnight? There's a place like that in south florida (Peanut Island - you get there by boat, there is a little mini marina, it's at the inlet so tons of fishing, and they have bathrooms and electricity!) that I want to camp at - but this is MUCH closer and would like to know if it'd be an option.
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by southboundchicken View Post
    how bout that temp update ??...... wonder if its feeling 30 now
    It was definitely cold last night. Temp on phone at 5am was 42. Nothing that an early morning fire didn't cure.

I know it's late, but all the tents we buy down here in Fl. are spring/summer tents which are thin and often have a mesh roof. I found out accidentally that wrapping the tent with a tarp will keep the heat in MUCH better. It doesn't let the wind or breeze go right through the tent material and retains the little bit of heat you guys will put off. I've stayed in my tent down into the teens a few times using the mentioned tarp wrap and a small "tent heater" available at Wal-Mart and so on. They do not put off Co2 when ignited and in a 9-11 man tent with two guys, the inside temp has been as high as 63* when it was 17* outside. We usually leave about 8" from the bottom open so some fresh air can move through....hate to have ya suffocate.

Anyone on here do any ultralight backpacking/hiking? I am doing 60-70 miles in a couple weeks on the Suwannee river Fl Trail section if anyone wants to make it a group thing. Florida is not really horrible with the cold weather. The biggest things that I have found that really become an issue is if you are sleeping compressed to the earth and the ground will absorb your heat or if you are sleeping in a 3 sleep system, like a tarp,hammock and underquilt, the key is make sure that you have enough loft in either your bag or underquilt to prevent air from hitting you while you sleep. The underquilt is a savior for staying warm and getting a great nights sleep without having to lug all the extra equiptment. I love polypropeleyne type clothing for base layers and goose down if i'm not going to be treking through a lot of water, if so synthetic dries better. Wool blankets are great if you are camping and not hiking. When I go hike the AT I usually will bring my 3 season tent if I know i'm going to be in some cold that will last for a week. There is nothing better than camping under a tarp in a hammock (if the area you are in allows it). The moisture here makes it hard for me to bring my regular six moons tent without getting soaked inside during the colder months. This thread has got me excited that it is hiking season again.

Quote Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
    Anyone on here do any ultralight backpacking/hiking? I am doing 60-70 miles in a couple weeks on the Suwannee river Fl Trail section if anyone wants to make it a group thing. Florida is not really horrible with the cold weather. The biggest things that I have found that really become an issue is if you are sleeping compressed to the earth and the ground will absorb your heat or if you are sleeping in a 3 sleep system, like a tarp,hammock and underquilt, the key is make sure that you have enough loft in either your bag or underquilt to prevent air from hitting you while you sleep. The underquilt is a savior for staying warm and getting a great nights sleep without having to lug all the extra equiptment. I love polypropeleyne type clothing for base layers and goose down if i'm not going to be treking through a lot of water, if so synthetic dries better. Wool blankets are great if you are camping and not hiking. When I go hike the AT I usually will bring my 3 season tent if I know i'm going to be in some cold that will last for a week. There is nothing better than camping under a tarp in a hammock (if the area you are in allows it). The moisture here makes it hard for me to bring my regular six moons tent without getting soaked inside during the colder months. This thread has got me excited that it is hiking season again.
    My bud Wade ( aka Reel Mayhem ) just got back from 4 days camping today. He uses a hammock / tarp sleep system and said he slept like a baby. I know his has mosquito netting to keep the bugs out in summer. It packs small and light so he can fit 5 days worth of food / clothes along with a sleeping bag into his 1 survival pack. It's pretty cool but not for me; my idea of roughing it is having to go to a Holiday Inn without reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
    The moisture here makes it hard for me to bring my regular six moons tent without getting soaked inside during the colder months.
    Holy crap, we learned that last night. It looked like it rained inside the tent, thus making us all damp and cold. The wife and oldest boy were not happy, but the two little guys didn't care.

Growing up in the Midwest camping in the extremes was the norm. I wouldn't recommend an air mattress, as it allows the cold air to get under you. Definetly blankets under your sleeping bag as others recommended. It gets you seperated from the ground, but still allows the ground to work as an insulator. During this time of year, with it warm during the day and cold St night, the ground is going to hold the heat much longer then if you had an air mistress under you.

Air mattress I meant, an air mistress might actually keep you warm.

Did someone say air mistress?!?! I think that's one hell of an idea to stay warm!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast