Winchester Ranger .30-30

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winchester Ranger .30-30

Hey guys i just got a Winchester ranger 30-30 from my dad but he didnt have any of the paper work like manuals and that stuff. after looking online i cant find one for a ranger but i keep finding a bunch for a model 94 does any one happen to have a manual for this rifle. also how can you date a Winchester rifle by the serial number. also he says it is registered to my mom from when they were married any way i can look up to see if it is actually registered to her and if so switch the registration to my name. one last question i will probably use this rifle for hog hunting can any one recommend a decent scope for it i dont want to break the bank on a scope if i dont have to but i also dont want one that sucks. sorry for all the questions but i figured it would be easier to ask them all in one topic then make a few posts for each question

they were made between 1985 and 2006 try ebay

i know when they were made but im wondering if there is a way to date this rifle its self.

whats the s #

my time line ends at 5mm but i found this sorrry cant give u a solid year.Your serial number is higher than the list I use. It stops at 5 million one hundred thousand, with 1983. For the ten years before that, they were making about 100,000 a year. With yours being 5 million 4, I'd guess 1985 or 6.

When costs started to get too high, Winchester looked for a way to lower them. They wanted to still be able to sell the 94 for 150 dollars or so. So they came up with the Ranger. Instead of having walnut stocks, it has walnut-stained birch. Bluing wasn't as shiny, as they didn't spend as much time polishing the steel first. The gun worked the same, it just was not quite as pretty. They started making them in '85, so yours is one of the first ones. In '03, they were a hundred dollars less than the regular 94. MSRP was 371, vs. 477.

i found a owners manual for the model 94 and it shows a safety right where the hammer is this one has no safety that i can see. sorry for the stupid questions i have never owned a lever action rifle

Find a Nikon Prostaff on sale this weekend. As for registering the gun in your name?!? There's no such thing bro, enjoy it and be glad you live in a country where such things aren't required.
    Eph. 3:20

Quote Originally Posted by spfldbowhunter View Post
    Find a Nikon Prostaff on sale this weekend. As for registering the gun in your name?!? There's no such thing bro, enjoy it and be glad you live in a country where such things aren't required.
    Great scope for the money. Works well in low light.

ok. thanks ill check it out. what is a good round for this gun i heard i cant shoot pointed tip rounds since the recoil could set off the other rounds in the tube.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast