Smackdown II Let's Rock! - Page 6

Florida Sportsman

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Added to the top lady treasure trove...

Conch inlaid works of art

which of ernest hemingway's son is john's father?
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate

Dr. Gregory Hemingway....

ALICE TOWN, BIMINI — The Bimini Big Game Club Resort & Marina announced today that there will be a Hemingway fishing in their Wahoo Smackdown II Tournament -- and he'll be chronicling his adventures exclusively for Sport Fishing.

John Patrick Hemingway, grandson of world-renown author Ernest Hemingway, next month will be trolling the same Gulf Stream waters as his famous grandfather, whose fishing exploits aboard his beloved Pilar helped put this tiny Bahamas out island on the global map in the 1930s.

The 52-year-old author is traveling on assignment with Sport Fishing and will be fishing with Capt. Alexander Jiminez of Miami aboard the 32-foot Sea Vee Makin It Happen. Following the tournament, Hemingway will pen an online essay on Sport Fishing's website about the history of big-game fishing in Bimini, accompanied by photo galleries.

Ernest Hemingway was an early apostle to the Bimini experience in the 1930s, where he drank, brawled and wrote his way through several fishing seasons, traveling back and forth between home in Key West and his beloved “Island in the Stream.” His creative workshop was the Compleat Angler, and his characterizations came from a world populated by giant blue marlin, bluefin tuna and schools of sharks almost too large to count. With his literary acclaim and sporting prowess, Hemingway, together with countless other kindred spirits, established Bimini as the Big Game Fishing Capital of the World — home today to some 50 world record catches and counting.

John Hemingway is an American author from Montreal, whose critically acclaimed memoir Strange Tribe examines the similarities and the complex relationship between his father Dr. Gregory Hemingway and his grandfather, Nobel Laureate Ernest Hemingway.

John has visited Bimini, the setting for his grandfather’s posthumous novel “Islands in the Stream,” countless times. His parents first took him to the island when he was a newborn and his childhood was spent fishing in the Gulf Stream with his father for marlin and wahoo and “everything else that you could and can still catch in those waters.”

As a young man, he moved to Milan, Italy, in 1983, where he taught English and worked as a translator while pursuing creative writing. His articles and short stories have appeared in American, Italian and Spanish newspapers and reviews. His short story Uncle Gus was the featured piece for the re-launch of the Saturday Evening Post.

After leaving Italy in 2006 and spending a year in Spain, John now lives with his two children in Montreal, Canada.

“This is a real coup for us,” said tournament director Capt. Paul Cameron. “Imagine being able to brag that you actually fished with a Hemingway, and in Bimini, of all places."

Cameron said Makin It Happen, which has taken advantage of the Big Game Club’s seasonal marina rates, is looking for some heavy competition in February.

“This past November we had nearly 80 anglers competing for more than $30,000 in cash and prizes,” he said. “Lots of action during the tournament with nearly a ton and a half of fish landed.”

The entry fee for the Wahoo Smackdown II (which includes four anglers per boat) is an affordable $1,250. First place prize is $5,000, followed by $1,500 for second and $1,000 for third.

This thing just growing and growing. I was notified today that we will have country recording star Craig Morgan in house along with Hemingway and Miss Dillon. He will be fishing, not performing though...

We also received notice that two more editors will be joining us. One from the Nassau Guardian and one from the Sun Sentinal. If any of our teams have room these gents are looking to ride with contestants. I will have Mirage there but she really doesn't have wahoo speed in her. Its either 8.5 knots or 23+... No in betweens with her...

If you know anybody in the fishing or marine business that would like to sponsor this will be a home run for them. We have reps from :Sport Fishing, Florida Sportfishing, Coastal Angler, Marlin, Sun Sentinal, Nassau Guardian, Florida Sportsman, and about 20 smaller publications in house for this one...

Originally the smackdown II was scheduled for this weekend. We had so many complaining that it conflicted with sailfish tournies that we moved the dates... I know that at least two of our teams took top honors there and I hope they give us the courtesy of signing up for this one as they had asked for...

While its still nearly a month out time flies and we are starting to fill our best rooms and slips. If you want a good spot there I suggest signing up very soon... We also need a count for tee shirts and stuff. Message me with questions...

Hopkins Carter and Gray taxidermy have both come in heavy as sponsors once again... Thank you!

New Sponsor Maco- GC joins the top sponsors list as a new addition. Thank you good people again!

Lets talk about our major sponsors for a minute... Two days ago I was running ragged... Entries are always slow til last minute. We have no way to budget things without some assistance. Hopkins Carter heard the call once again and stepped to the plate in a huge way. They picked up the tab on all the important trophies AND made the kick off party happen. Maco GC came on and made dinner number 2 happen where we had nothing really planned. Gray taxidermy was brought in by Hopkins Carter to provide a gorgeous top team trophy that we would not otherwise been able to afford. We have another sponsor trying to get some red tape cut to help cover our awards dinner... These guys have come deep in tough economic times to give back to the community. I ask you all to remember them when you need product or services... A simple thank you goes a long way to building relationships. Without them we would have a pretty boring uneventful event...

what is Maco GC?
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate

General Contractor group from Miami...

Sponsors from as far away as Annapolis Maryland now on board. Boats from east coast, west coast, even Atlanta and today added one from Bahamas itself... Welcome aboard Scallywag! Also I think I missed the welcome aboard to another new team a few days ago, Shark Bait ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast