stone crab in south east florida?

Florida Sportsman

stone crab in south east florida?

Man do I love stone cab. But it's too rich for my blood to buy at the store. I live in west palm Florida and want to try stone crabbing inshore off my boat. I was going to buy 5 black plastic traps. I have read rules and regulations. But are there stone crabs here? Where's a good place to try and catch them? I have lots of questions but let's start with these. Thanks. Joe

YES ! Though it is not a stellar fishery on our coast. They live on the grass flats and around PB county those are limited. It's a lot of work and you will most likely lose traps and have your traps "checked" for you. One way you can tell if you are being robbed is to get colored zip ties since everyone has black. You have to engarve your name one your traps. I use a wood graver and put it on the top of the traps and spray paint it in yellow. The cheapest bait is cat food IMO..Crack the can and put it in the trap. You can tie 2 traps together to cut down on ropes and buoy costs. make sure the rope is long enough when you pull up one trap the other will still be in the water. Otherwise you will break yer back! lol..I used to do it all the time ,but my skiff is messed up so i haven't. Good luck!

Fun & good eating. Plenty of info. http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...one-crab-traps
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Thanks. I want to gov it a shot. I know a spot that I have caught blues in. 4-6 ' of water. Grass beds and sand.

Buddy cought one Saturday at Sebastian Inlet

How do you know where rocky bottom is? I have a depth finder ave can see grass. Crabs just run in the grass? Where can I find some rocks and not get hung up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mako_One View Post
    Buddy cought one Saturday at Sebastian Inlet
    Was he trapping them? Only one. Oh boy. Maybe I should rethink buying traps.

I've seen them diving around the St. Lucie Inlet. I've never set traps for them with all the thieves around, but there are always a lot of traps up here.