Little help please

Florida Sportsman

Little help please

Hello guys my problem is this I have a 98 Evinrude ocean runner lately I have notice that when I set it on gear it dosent engage and the RPM raise after I set it back to neutral and wait a few minutes them it will get in gear replace the lower unit fluid but still the same ask my mechanic and he said that is due to a defective shifting swich a it replace it and same any idea hat this could be. Thanks and happy and safe HOLLY DAYS FOR EVERY ONE

A model number would help immensely.

Does this happen when shifting both into forward and reverse, or just one gear? You need to give us specifics to be able to help you out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

The model number is E200 TXECM when I put it on reverse I feel is hard to shift but get the gear and when I try it foward is when the RPM rise but don't shift I did it @ the house whit the hose and heard like a grinding noise coming from the lower unit when triying to engage but once in gear the noise go away

Best to have a trained tech check it out. It could be such things as incorrect shift rod height, worn control box or cable (too much free play), broken weld on horizontal shift shaft and lever, worn clutch dog or internal gearcase linkage, etc.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

Thanks Billgran I guess I got a nice one on hands will let you know the result of this one