Have you harvested a permit? - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So I wonder if the CCA will have a position prior to this week's meeting?

No alert was released. I suspect CCA is supporting BTT, as they did in Weston.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

My first involvement in this particular controversy was after a heads up from my local CCA rep... Don't think they'll be ignoring this issue and will be very, very surprised if they support BTT... Hope I'm not wrong.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

This thread has over 1,000 views but only like 4 people commenting. If you think for one second that this issue is strictly about permit you are mistaken!!

THE issue here is that a certain commissioner, I believe the Chairman, has made this his pet project BECAUSE he wants it. He doesn't like that he spends big bucks to go out with a guide and chase this fish while at the same time someone can shoot one, even if the two events don't ever happen in the same location. There is no biology in this push, just some guy's pet peeve. In the early days of the MFC and earlier a number of regulations were created this way.

My issue is that for more than twenty years now some people have developed an excellent working relationship with the MFC/FWC Staff and at times, some of the commissioners. We never based our positions on whether we "liked" or "disliked" something and the end result was very good and effective regulation in a number of areas. As a spearfisherman the detractors were many and vocal but in the end we buried them with facts, figures and irrefutable evidence...... which Staff and the commissioners used to make their decisions. The naysayers lost, but we and the resource won. In all these years effective laws were made because personal opinion was pushed out of the process. Most importantly this approach gave the MFC/FWC agency a level of credibility and respect equal to few others and surpassed by none. Now this commissioner and his hook and line cronies want exclusive access to Permit and are using his position to get it, thus erasing a great deal of the credibility achieved through decades of responsible, non-partisan, biologically supportable, sophisticated and effective management. Many years ago virtually every user group was afraid that the Commission would regulate with knee jerk actions and at the time there was little doubt that this was a very real possibility. Today a number of user groups work openly with Staff as management partners to develop good recommendations for the commissioners to consider, backed with sound evidence and the fear, once overshadowing everything, has evaporated. So now comes this primitive, selfish and exclusionary push to marginalize one user group, basically on a whim. If this methodology is allowed to return to the process and is successful we will never be able to trust the FWC again. We will all have to crawl in a hole and hide, hoping they don't target us next and fishery management will have retreated 40 years.

It's a lot to lose.

Make your voice heard.

Email the Governor -->http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-sco...-the-governor/

Email the Commissioners -->http://myfwc.com/contact/fwc-staff/s...commissioners/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123