11/6 hobe sound beach

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile 11/6 hobe sound beach

Decided to do a beach run and started off at hobe sound public. There were dozens of other fisherman around but I picked my spot and stuck to it. A few guys caught plenty of whiting and a few small pompano just barely legal. I quickly spotted sand fleas and got the sand flea scoop out and got about 2 gallons of sand fleas in a few scoops. Got plenty to use on future trips. I started to cast away only using a goofy jig and tipped it with a sand flea and within minutes I start getting bites then land a few small whiting. I released them since its not a fish I'll eat. 30mins roll by and I get into the pompano but it was kindy scrawny for a legal size and threw it back. Got into more whiting and one small redfish. Hour goes by and a FWC officer comes walking down the beach checking people out and ended up walking up on the guy next to me. He checked his catch and measured his fish and the one pompano that was barely legal the officer gave the guy crap for keeping it. He goes threw his cooler pulling out a few more pompano and then he checked his backpack, bingo the officer pulls out 8 undersized pompano plus the others in his cooler. He ended up taking a ride, lost his gear, and probably got fined pretty good. After that all the other guys on the beach quickly left. Stayed behind and soon it started to rain and called it a day. Got home and blanched the sand fleas and froze them to save a few bucks later cause they become a $5plus per bag commodity. See how things go after the winds and intracoastal settle down after this double cool front.

Thanks for the report, they will be here soon.

Glad they busted the guy, ain't much meat on a barely legal much less a short.

Wish some of those fwc guys go a little further north.

Why don't you eat whiting? I was told they were good but have yet to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Fi$h2nguyen View Post
    Wish some of those fwc guys go a little further north.

Why don't you eat whiting? I was told they were good but have yet to try.
    It is good tasting but I'm not a huge fish eater plus I have a freezer full. No need to get greedy ya kno.

Stay fishin mane!! Instagram: TeamFishology

While my encounters with the FWC have sometimes been contentious due to their onerous and even sometimes pompous attitude (not all of them, but some), and I've yet be ticketed for an infraction or violation, I never ever have any illegal fish, it's just crazy to do that, and bad ocean karma as well.. Thanks for the interesting story though...
    Thanks,
    LastMango

hey at least they catch someone once in a while

Hobe sound beach is a good spot for them cause its only a little stretch of beach to walk. Not saying they are that lazy but I think we all get the drift. I think Fwc either got tipped off or he was actually doing what their supposed to do. These young guys fresh out of the academy have to make a good stating impression somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by snook87 View Post
    Hobe sound beach is a good spot for them cause its only a little stretch of beach to walk. Not saying they are that lazy but I think we all get the drift. I think Fwc either got tipped off or he was actually doing what their supposed to do. These young guys fresh out of the academy have to make a good stating impression somehow!
    you forgot to mention the bikinis

Quote Originally Posted by saltysenior View Post
    doing his or her job. I'm glad to hear it. Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysenior View Post
    The white haired old ladies??? Haha it isn't Miami beach lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast