Who Needs a Flats Boat... Night Kayak Slaying! 11/14/12

Florida Sportsman

Who Needs a Flats Boat... Night Kayak Slaying! 11/14/12

Dad and I dropped the kayaks in this evening just before 8:00. Paddled over to our first dock light and before I could even get my rod out, dad was already hooked up on a small fat snook! So I skip in and get another fat snook to start things off. Next light there are some larger fish popping in and a few casts later I'm locked into a better fish. Turns out to be my personal best fat snook. Dad then gets another fat snook that was only slightly smaller than the one I had just got! 4 fat snook in a row. Then dad breaks the streak with a small common. Head around to one of our last lights and we quickly pick off two nice snook. Both about 25". Then Dad hooks up to a monster, drag screaming and towing the kayak into the dock. Does his best to get it out, but the line catches something sharp on a piling and snaps. Then I got a couple of big ribbon fish and figured when that happens it's time to head in. Great trip for our first time going out in the kayaks at night. All fish were caught on DOA Glow CAL's rigged on Scorpion Jig heads. As for everyone saying that the St.Lucie River is trashed right now, we were in the St.Lucie.

*Sorry for some of the poor picture quality, still getting the hang of the picture taking from the yaks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3437.jpg   IMG_9868.jpg   IMG_3572.jpg   IMG_5431.jpg   IMG_2238.jpg   IMG_6849.jpg   IMG_2718.jpg   IMG_1818.jpg  

I think you can catch fish from just about anything at this point.
    Great report.

Nice report, you guys make me jealous, you are some awesome fisherman. That is my favorite Yak fishing hitting the docks at night.
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan

Nice guys. I'm aching to get out for a night trip..

good Job guys.

Great job Joupdog and family !!

Nice catch. Love fishing for snook at night.