Life is Still Good in Flamingo

Florida Sportsman

Life is Still Good in Flamingo

With weather finally cooling off slightly in The Everglades fishing patterns are going through a transition period which has been resulting in some unbelievable action some days and other days are leaving anglers wondering what happened. Game fish like Redfish, Snook and Trout have yet to take their winter refuge in the deeper canals and channels of Florida bay but are still very aggressive during higher tidal stages around mangrove shorelines and points north of the cape. Almost every year you can count on the month of November to be an excellent time for Redfish and this year is no exception. Redfish are much less vulnerable to water temperature drops in comparison to Snook and Tarpon which makes them easier targets when waters get a little chilly. It may take a little hunting and extra effort but once you locate a single fish there is a good chance to be several others around. On 11/4 and 11/6 we landed 3 Bull Reds weighing approximately 25 pounds each along with 5 Snook from 26 to 38 inches. Redfish of this size are very rare to this region of Florida and seem to pop up around this time every year. These fish are focusing on large baitfish like Silver Mullet and Pinfish so try an fill up the well with these baits to put yourself in the best position to catch a trophy.
    One of the greatest parts of the late fall/ winter fishing in The Everglades is that you don't necessarily have to get up at the crack of dawn to ensure some good action. In fact, on cooler days it is sometimes a good idea to let waters warm up a little prior to getting your lines wet. There are still fish on the flats east of Flamingo and anglers are recording better numbers on days with light winds and clear skies. Look for the Redfish, Trout and Snook to begin moving off the flats into more stable water columns. Another awesome treat November has brought to Flamingo is the abundance of tasty floating debris named Tripletail. On a trip last week we spotted over a dozen Tripletails on the run from Flamingo up to Shark River and all were about 18 inches. These fish supply some of the best table fare in Florida Bay and will rarely turn down a live or dead Shrimp under a cork. You can also target these fish along the crab buoys of Florida Bay. Keep an eye out for diving birds in the gulf they will usually bring you upon big schools of Spanish Mackerel, Ladyfish and Bluefish and can provide some awesome light tackle action for those just trying to bend a rod. November is an awesome time to experience the Everglades and the weather really cant get much and the sunsets and sunrise have been very impressive. If anyone needs a few tips in fishing the waters of Florida Bay or needs some information regarding trips please feel free to contact me.

Scottbrown483@gmail.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 132.JPG   119.JPG   135.JPG   download (12).jpg   47225_10101415485672914_1220376438_n (1).jpg   PicsPlay_1349914015865 (2).jpg   128.JPG   126.JPG   602450_10101426000980154_983157857_n (1).jpg   003.JPG   PicsPlay_1352647195580.jpg  

Dude, nice report. I like that snook pic with the girl hooked up also. Gotta love when the action's hot!

Great report I have been waiting on a good one as I am heading thier after thanksgiving for a father and son camping and fishing trip
    What did you catch them with live bait or arts

Great report. I can't wait for this friday. I'm taking my daughter trout fishing in flamingo for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by chasintails69 View Post
    Great report I have been waiting on a good one as I am heading thier after thanksgiving for a father and son camping and fishing trip
    What did you catch them with live bait or arts
    Thanks buddy. Some were caught on artificials the bull reds and Snook were all caught using Pinfish and Pilchards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibijawa View Post
    Great report. I can't wait for this friday. I'm taking my daughter trout fishing in flamingo for the first time.
    A lot of Trout in the Sandy key area right now. Popping corks...Rocky Channel shhhhhhhhhh

I don't know who you are sir but the way you just gave away info is impressive and admirable. I'm assuming you are a captain by both the knowledge and the quality of your catches, not many are willing to share details the way you did. I did some camping and canoe fishing with my girlfriend last weekend and was only able to catch some rat reds and dink snook in the bradley key area(I'm just glad we didn't get skunked). Pinfish are one of the few baits I catch consistently so I may hit those beaches in the Jon boat some time soon .

Thanks for the awesome report.

Quote Originally Posted by Mand View Post
    I don't know who you are sir but the way you just gave away info is impressive and admirable. I'm assuming you are a captain by both the knowledge and the quality of your catches, not many are willing to share details the way you did. I did some camping and canoe fishing with my girlfriend last weekend and was only able to catch some rat reds and dink snook in the bradley key area(I'm just glad we didn't get skunked). Pinfish are one of the few baits I catch consistently so I may hit those beaches in the Jon boat some time soon .

Thanks for the awesome report.
    Good luck man. Would love take you guys out sometime..