Citizens is forcing us to replace our roof.
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member That's what she said's Avatar

Citizens is forcing us to replace our roof.

The roof has no issues, but Citizen's says if we can't prove it's less than 20 years old it has to be replaced.

The house was built in 1978 and we bought it in 2002. Neighbors thought it was replaced in about 1998, but the previous owner died and Lee county says they can't find a building permit on it.

The house is 2000 sq. ft. + 2 car garage. It's an asphalt shingle roof. I have no idea what that will cost. I'm hoping that prices will be down now that winter is approaching.

Anyone have any recommendations of roofers?

How can the "force" you to replace your roof? That really makes no sense.

If they are requiring it as a condition of financing and or insurance find a different carrier/agent. It is less than smart to replace a perfectly good roof and most of the asphalt shingle roofs I have seen will last ~ 25-30 years.
    Port Charlotte, Florida

Since we have a mortgage, we are required by the lender to have insurance. That's how they are forcing us.

They have required us to have a new roof inspection every year for the last three years.

Each year, the inspector - who is a member here - has said it is good for *at least three years*. Now, that's not good enough anymore. Due to the age of the home, they want it replaced.

Citizens is the insurer of last resort. The only other quote I could get that wasn't Citizen's was Universal Property and Casualty and it was double Citizen's, which is already high.

Banned
    Don't know anything about roofs but I would call Tower Hill insurance. They did right by me when my house flooded 6 years ago and my rate never rised.

Question: Who is forcing you to get the yearly inspection? The mortgage company or the insurance company?

I had the same problem with Citizens. If your roof is in decent shape you can get an inspection done as That's What She Said writes above. If you need to hire a roofer make sure they are licensed, fully insured and pay their bills. You can check with suppliers or go to the roofers association web site at swfrca.com and choose from the contractor list there.

Check with the insurance company and see what kind of a brake they will give if you install a tin roof. Sometimes the discount in the insurance rate makes-up for the extra cost of tin. If you have a manditory homeowners association, check with them before installing a tin roof.

Thanks for the link Neil E. Two of the companies I was going to call for quotes aren't members, Roof Smart and A to Z. They have both done roofs in my neighborhood and they look good. I may check with suppliers to see if they recommend them or not.

I have an insurance quote from Tower Hill for homeowners and wind. It's 60% more than my current Citizens Wind + ASI homeowners policies. I don't know how much Citizen's might increase at the next renewal to compare. I also don't know if I switch to TH or Universal, who are both more, that they won't be requiring a new roof in a couple of years too. So, do I pay a couple thousand more each year to avoid replacing the roof now or do I roll that money into the cost of replacement?

Also, I just have quotes from TH and Universal. They both require new wind mitigation and roof inspection to confirm. They could also have some issue with the age of the roof.

My company is fully licensed and insured for roofing, general construction and emergency service. We work mostly out of Naples and Ft Myers. Let me know if we can be of service.

www.Tri-TownConstruction.com

Instagram: @anothergreatadventure @marcdevisse

Tri town construction

Quote Originally Posted by Gamekilla View Post
    My company is fully licensed and insured for roofing, general construction and emergency service. We work mostly out of Naples and Ft Myers. Let me know if we can be of service.

Tri-Town Construction does great work and I would strongly recommend them!
    Last edited by Saltwater Cowboy; 11-06-2012 at 05:08 PM.

This is why I rent. The insurance industry and the banking industry are the same. Legalized extortion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast