Rat-L-Traps For Saltwater? - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by landlubber View Post
    I have only used them a couple times. One time I was fishing with my mom at St. George Island. I was tossing a gold spoon and she had a blue and silver rattle trap. She caught the only redfish. It worked at least once.
    cool I got the same model ...If anyone else that has fished with a rattletrap in saltwater successfully please post your experience....I wanna learn more about this lure :P call me curious

I use a floating gold rattletrap around oyster bars for redfish. Just use a steady retrieve and let it bounce off the oyster bar. This works really good when the tide starts to cover the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by DragScreamer View Post
    what areas? I have a couple in my box but never tried them for saltwater. shallow grass flats? deeper grass flats? Mangroves? Oysterbeds? Canals? Jetties? Piers?

Yes Mainly shallow areas.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

I'm going to give them a try this winter in the lower Keys. The one thing that concerns me is that they have very small hooks. You really can't just "super size" these or it will destroy their wobble which creates the rattle. I think the number of fish lost will be higher than most other lures. Seems to be true in fresh water too.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern View Post
    I'm going to give them a try this winter in the lower Keys. The one thing that concerns me is that they have very small hooks. You really can't just "super size" these or it will destroy their wobble which creates the rattle. I think the number of fish lost will be higher than most other lures. Seems to be true in fresh water too.
    I've never had problems with the hooks in freshwater. I think it depends on how tight your drag is set and how much pressure you put on the fish. Let me know what your experience is with the lure when you use it in the keys

I've caught my largest spotted sea trout on one -- you can crank them right over the top of submerged grass. As pointed out, the floaters a nice around oyster bars for reds. I don't know that the mineral content of the water matters. If the habitat/conditions warrent one, then throw it.

Ive used them in the flats around Stuart and even trolling creeks in NE...they work well on trout...

Thanks Guys I love learning new things anything about fishing! I guess you can call me a fishing connoisseur haha. So if anyone wants to share their experience I would be more than happy to read them so please post them here, it's greatly appreciated!

I don't know what it is I have, if I remember it is called a bunker buster. It's some off brand ratltrap made for saltwater. Bigger hooks, rings, etc. I'll post pics later if I get a chance.

I use them when the blues are around, they tear it up every cast. They hit it so much they wear the paint off until it is white, and still they tear it up. The Spanish macks will probably do the same if you crank it as fast as.you can. I take the trebels off and put J hooks on so it is easier to get out of mouth and catch another fish.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast