East coast slam - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: East coast slam

The paint can speaks.

Duckman....You've got this area (Sea-Bass) really dialed in and I like to ask if you have any suggestions for how a guy can increase the overall size of the catch. Different tactics, lures, etc...???
    I'm doing a lot of kayak fishing around Wabasso, Orchid/Pelican Island, up to Grant... and while I always catch fish, they're rarely up to slot size. LOTTs of "Schoolies, undersize stuff etc.
    Not asking for specific holey-holes...(unless of course you wish to share..!!!) just some thoughts from a more experienced guy.
    Thanks.

Those are certainly slam material. Any three game fish in a days span is a slam in most books!! Congrats and keep the lines wet!!

Kayaks by Bo Pro Staff
    Kayakfishingradio.com dag gone Fishin Magician
    Space Coast Kayak Angler (facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    Duckman....You've got this area (Sea-Bass) really dialed in and I like to ask if you have any suggestions for how a guy can increase the overall size of the catch. Different tactics, lures, etc...???
    I'm doing a lot of kayak fishing around Wabasso, Orchid/Pelican Island, up to Grant... and while I always catch fish, they're rarely up to slot size. LOTTs of "Schoolies, undersize stuff etc.
    Not asking for specific holey-holes...(unless of course you wish to share..!!!) just some thoughts from a more experienced guy.
    Thanks.

The easiest way...is to go way up size on your baits...this "self culls" since as a general rule a 12 inch trout will let a really big bait alone( sometimes ). This is a much better summer/ Early fall (mullet run) tactic since conventional wisdom has you go way downsize in cold weather (and slow the presentation) since fish get sluggish and in winter are more likely to eat a shrimp.

Also, If it's big trout you are thinking...They will not be with those dinks....Think "birds of a feather"...The big gals are usually in very small pods of 1 to 6 or so fish and are very site specific....Think SHALLOW....

You are going to be somewhat hampered by the Yak down here since it is generally a "Run & Gun" type thing especially in light of the loss of all our Seagrass.....It's now come down to a handfull of tried and true spots that they hang out. That, And for me...the big fish are being sight casted to....very hard unles you have the right Yak that allows you to stand and pole and even then you are giving up a big advantage against me on the nose of my skiff.
    Adam ( Dupont) has been with me when I would say " they'll be right up ahead...."....and most times...given the same relative conditions (tide/water clarity bait concentrations) they are there. The unknown is if they will eat...and like yesterdays trip with Adam...we made a long slow approach...only to have "flipper" cut in ahead of us and totally F the place up...

I will PM you my phone # and if you have more questions maybe I can help....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Wow, that was a NICE day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    Thanks.
    Guido, everything Duckman has said makes sence for whatever its worth. I have had the same luck as you in the Sebastian area. Never have caught any good sized trout or reds down that way. But I know some people do, Duckman being one. He definately knows what he's doing. Take up here, Mosquito lagoon area, I was out yesterday. Beinh the first time in a long while. first place I worked hard for a couple hrs or more, nothing there. Went a couple miles south to another spotI havent been for a long time. Said screw it, I'm gonna throw this 7-8" mullett out. Darndest thing I ever seen. This nice trout, around 25" grabbed it took out a lot of line. I don't rush on the hook set with live bait. Finally she started rolling this way and that, kept hitting the mullet but couldn't get it in her mouth. Or was just moving the mullett from her bed, trout do this a lot. Finally she went back by the side of boat, 20' or so away. I thought she was hooked and coming back at me, big trout also do this. But no, she gets opposite the boat and rolled on top, slaping the water. Come to find out the mullett was no where near he, she was just p'd off. So was i!! Did see several other big trout and slot reds, very shallow. Going back this afternoon with some better sized mullet. Hoping wife gets something. If so I'll try to post pics, so far I can't seem to. Hoping to come to Long Point soon and troll the river for Grouper if its too rough to go offshore. Keep listening to Duckman, he'll get you going.

way to get back in the slam game Joe, nice to see the area producing good again down there

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123