Need help

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Need help

Question Need help

I am coming down and staying at ft.myers beach during thanksgiving week for a week. I have been down here a couple times but never tried fishing, so I was wandering if anyone could tell me where to fish, what lures bait I should use, best tide to go fishing at. I am will to try piers, beach fishing, and I have a small boat to try mangroves or backwaters. I am also will to drive to Charlotte harbor but I don't know how to fish it and what bait/lures I should use. Any advice would be appreciated. I really want to try to catch my first snook and maybe some reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Flats blue 96 View Post
    I I have a small boat to try mangroves or backwaters.
    Fish live shrimp under mangroves with a small hook. Use a 20#-30# Fluorocarbon leader and as small a hook as you can stand. (Did I mention small hook already?) IF you must use some weight, small split shots would be a good choice to start with. In each area, fish the bottom first, then middle of the water column, then top. I would also try the same set up around any piling of bridges or piers. If you go to the pier/bridge, don't cast way out. Fish the pilings. Hope you get some nice fish!!!!

If you have the $ get an inshore charter. Tell em that you want to catch what's biting best right now.

I went down there during the summer and went on the bobby b fishing charter but we went grouper fishing offshore. I really appreciate the help. What type of small hook should I use? Like a circle hook?