Fishing Sebastian inlet from boat

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishing Sebastian inlet from boat

Hello,

I am hoping some fellow anglers can help a newbie out. I live relatively close to Sebastian Inlet and have a boat. The last couple times out, I have been trying to figure out how to fish the inlet. I have noticed drift fishing the channel on in coming tide. So when drift fishing, do people just put the boat in idle and float with the current or cut the engine completely? When drift fishing, what kind of rigs do you use? Meaning, do you free line out the bait or provide weight. Do you let it bump off the bottom (which seems like it would get hung up if weighted)? Do people drift fish out going tide?
    I have also seen people anchored up. Once again, what is the optimal rigging for this?

Thank you for any insights.

Joe

Hey Joe,

For some info on drift fishing the inlet check out "Reel Time with Florida Sportsman" Episode 20. You can use the same technique fishing the incoming for fishing the ougoing.....the only difference is that the inlet is a little rougher and most anglers tend to target the fenders as opposed to the mouth.

When I anchor I use a standard fish-finder rig with 3oz of weight, 2' of 50lb floro, and a 4/0 circle hook. That's my preference but not the only method. Please do not anchor to the East of the bridge right in the middle of the chanel. It makes it impossible for other boats to drift and you will be getting buzzed by boat traffic the whole day=not safe.

Yes, you will get hung up a LOT no matter what you do, but after a few trips out there you will figure out how to limit your losses.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me at the number listed below.

Ryan
    Final Point Charters

Specializing in Inlet/Nearshore trips in the Sebastian Inlet area
    Come fish the World Famous Sebastian Inlet and see what all the hype is about!
    Check out our website for rates and booking information.
    772-584-1239

Ryan,

Thanks for the video tip. That was really helpful. What size split shot was that? Do people actually achor east of the bridge?

Yes, some fools anchor East of the bridge, but usually only one time! BTW, don't ever anchor from the stern of your boat. I've seen 2 boats try that West of the bridge; one sunk, one managed to cut the anchor line just prior to swamping. Happens really fast too! If a boat in Sebastian Inlet has NY, NJ, CT, or MA before the numbers on the bow, and is a runabout or bowrider, get your camera ready for a Kodak Moment.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Yes, some fools anchor East of the bridge, but usually only one time! BTW, don't ever anchor from the stern of your boat. I've seen 2 boats try that West of the bridge; one sunk, one managed to cut the anchor line just prior to swamping. Happens really fast too! If a boat in Sebastian Inlet has NY, NJ, CT, or MA before the numbers on the bow, and is a runabout or bowrider, get your camera ready for a Kodak Moment.
    Seriously? Common sense would tell you to anchor at the bow...but then again if they are from NY, NY,CT or MA, not too many Yankees with common sense. but then again, I see fools out there in little john boats that I would be leary about taking out in a lake, let alone the inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukes23 View Post
    Ryan,

Thanks for the video tip. That was really helpful. What size split shot was that? Do people actually achor east of the bridge?
    That was just a #2. I usually start out with that and then add anything from a #5-#2. It doesn't take a lot of weight to get your bait down.
    Final Point Charters

Specializing in Inlet/Nearshore trips in the Sebastian Inlet area
    Come fish the World Famous Sebastian Inlet and see what all the hype is about!
    Check out our website for rates and booking information.
    772-584-1239

One of your questions above was cutting the engine off during drift or idling in neutral.
    I never kill my engine. Just when you need it most it won't start and disaster ( NJ, NY, MA etc.) is approaching fast.
    Keep it running unless anchored.

I agree with saltybum about keeping the motor running. I fish solo most of the time and don't need any more chores getting the motor started when fishing the inlet. I got most of my experience in Indian River Inlet Delaware and it can and does kick your *** on any outgoing tide. Also, try to avoid the weekends if at all possible. There are many more novices out to get in the way and ruin your day.

Poppop

A dead motor on outgoing tide will be a disaster.
    Last edited by duckmanJR; 11-01-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

A dead motor on an incoming heading towards the fenders can also get you puckered. Never shut your motor off in the inlet. I leave mine running anchored at the n tip until I'm SURE my anchor is tight.
    Bad Fish Must Die!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast