30 knot winds & a Biscayne Red!!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

30 knot winds & a Biscayne Red!!

Got a late start with a buddy, Hai. Today's target was to find some calm, fishable waters. Trolling motor wasn't working, so I had to pole all afternoon. Basically, we were targeting reds, snook, and maybe a bonefish. Had a few shots at snook, and Hai had the hook pull on a 35"+/- redfish earlier on. Saw a few more reds, but didn't quite get the right shot at them. I pulled up to another spot, I spotted a nice red immediately and Hai got the right shot on this one, and landed a fat 29"er. First Biscayne red for him, and his biggest so far.

After landing the red, I wanted to look for that bonefish, so we crossed over some flats to get across the bay. Boy, did we get pounded! After all that, we never did see a bonefish, but Hai spotted a pair of lobster that were out for an afternoon walk. I poled the boat up to them, Hai gets the landing net, and scoops not one, but both lobsters. So, no bonefish, but a heck of a trade-off! I'll take it any day.

We had also scooped up a couple blue crabs earlier, so between that, the lobster, and the left-over live shrimp, dinner wasn't too bad.

How do those shrimp taste? Nice bugs
    FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>----->

2013 Hobie Outback

www.Extremekayakfishing.com

2013 Florida Sportsman College Football Bowl Pick 'em challenge CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by ZimmerNole View Post
    How do those shrimp taste? Nice bugs
    Lol, not bad with a little home-made cocktail sauce. There was a few nice ones in the well, but some of them weren't worth peeling cuz they were tiny. I wouldn't buy them from the bait store and take them straight home to eat, but after flushing out in the well for 5 hours, I just give myself a false sense that they're ok then. Whateva, they good! Lol

Nice day even with all the wind.

Nice . But isn't most of biscayne bay a lobster sanctuary? Also, it looks more like 3 kt winds than 30 in the picture.
    Last edited by abovebored; 10-29-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abovebored View Post
    Nice . But isn't most of biscayne bay a lobster sanctuary? Also, it looks more like 3 kt winds than 30 in the picture.
    Yes, BB is a lobster sanctuary...we were outside the boundaries when we were fishing for bonefish and ran into these guys. Yes, it looks like 3 knots when you find protection from shorelines. That's what we did all afternoon, is fish the calmer waters, despite the conditions. I always find a spot to fish! The bay was pretty bad crossing, even over shallow flats. If we had crossed over the middle of the bay, I probably wouldn't had made it back to write this report. It was brutal!
    Last edited by Gettin' Jiggy!; 10-29-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Nice! Hardcore pays off.

nice job where by did you spot the reds ,passing turkey point or closer to black point.

Quote Originally Posted by flatsstalker View Post
    nice job where by did you spot the reds ,passing turkey point or closer to black point.
    We fished a lot of spots. I really don't remember...
    It happens to me all the time.

Thats imposible water looks too calm for 30 kts winds .
    Last edited by marvin1156; 10-31-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast