Peaocks, Snook, Tarpon, OH MY!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    86

    Peaocks, Snook, Tarpon, OH MY!

    Had the opportunity to take some friends out for RDAs (Reel-Deal Adventures) this week and put them on some beautiful fish...First up was Paul, who on Wednesday had some free time to pound out some peacocks...Fighting off the overcast skies and consistent drizzle, we got in 3 short hours, and Paul landed 20 peas, including a 4 lber and a monster male who weighed in at 7 lbs...

    Check out the color variations on these two...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_p9261673.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	52145

    4 lbs...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_p9261677.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	52146

    7 pound male...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_p9261674.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	52147

    Next up was Phil, who wanted to hit a spot we named Crossroads, where two canals intersect and hold large mouth, peacocks, tarpon, snook, and even an occasional manatee...Not much action Thursday evening but did manage some small peas and this 22" snook...


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_p9231668.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	52148

    Finally, Friday night was Ed's turn to fish for freshwater tarpon at the Rake...As we pulled up, we quickly noticed the water flowing and tarpon rolling...First bait in the water lasted all but 5 minutes before this 15 lb 'poon engulfed it and took Ed for a ride...4 drag screaming runs and 5 heart-stopping drops had us running up and down the banks, but we got him!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120928_175616.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	52149

    A great 3 days of fishing to kick off the weekend...

  2. #2
    Moderator capt louie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    citrus county
    Posts
    5,200
    Looks like your still on 'um .
    "You'll get your weather"

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bass2bucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    609
    Very nice!

  4. #4
    Junior Member southernsnooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Broward County
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the report and the pics are awesome. I live close to the place you call crossroads and have fished there a few times. Haven't had much luck there but have seen some big linesiders.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    53
    Great report. I know the lakes you are fishing in South Broward County. If you are not doing so already, please leave the bedding peacock bass on the beds so the eggs do not get eaten by chiclids or tilapia. We took a hard hit already a couple years ago with a harsh winter. I am trying to have my kids grow up with a peacock fishery near by. Thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyLegal View Post
    Great report. I know the lakes you are fishing in South Broward County. If you are not doing so already, please leave the bedding peacock bass on the beds so the eggs do not get eaten by chiclids or tilapia. We took a hard hit already a couple years ago with a harsh winter. I am trying to have my kids grow up with a peacock fishery near by. Thanks
    Yes, let the invasive species flourish...

  7. #7
    Senior Member johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    WC FL
    Posts
    5,529
    nice ! hard to tell, looks like a fat snook ?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by mandaferret View Post
    Yes, let the invasive species flourish...
    I haven't really heard of Peacock Bass being considered an invasive species, nonnative sure, but they were originally stocked by the FWC to control populations of invasive species... hell im not sure what to really consider invasive anymore, seems alotta very reputable anglers in SFL don't view snakeheads to be very detrimental to native species. FWC did not even mention snakeheads in the latest fishing regulations booklet. But the rapidly increasing numbers of blue tilapia around my parts does concern me...(fwc encourages not to release blue tilapia)

    I never cease to be amazed at the diversity of the fishery in SFL, and Reel-Deel has it dialed in!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by RemoteRedsTrout View Post
    I haven't really heard of Peacock Bass being considered an invasive species, nonnative sure, but they were originally stocked by the FWC to control populations of invasive species... hell im not sure what to really consider invasive anymore, seems alotta very reputable anglers in SFL don't view snakeheads to be very detrimental to native species. FWC did not even mention snakeheads in the latest fishing regulations booklet. But the rapidly increasing numbers of blue tilapia around my parts does concern me...(fwc encourages not to release blue tilapia)
    IMO, any non-native that was introduced by people is an invasive. And to the fact of people saying their bass fisheries are better with snakeheads, they aren't evaluating the numbers of native sunfishes and topminnows are they?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by mandaferret View Post
    IMO, any non-native that was introduced by people is an invasive. And to the fact of people saying their bass fisheries are better with snakeheads, they aren't evaluating the numbers of native sunfishes and topminnows are they?
    Good point.....

    Ill say that the direction we're heading with non-native species concerns me. At this rate its hard to imagine where things will be in 100 years. When I see seas of blue tilapia at my local ponds, even a bunch of plecos, it really irks me. For awhile I was ticked when I saw alotta carp in a pond but found out that thankfully they are triploid and cant reproduce....good to know because im sure they produce a ton of waste......but to quote Jurrasic Park "nature finds a way" (sorry for my jumbled thoughts just got back from a 13 hour workday)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •