Peaocks, Snook, Tarpon, OH MY!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Peaocks, Snook, Tarpon, OH MY!

Had the opportunity to take some friends out for RDAs (Reel-Deal Adventures) this week and put them on some beautiful fish...First up was Paul, who on Wednesday had some free time to pound out some peacocks...Fighting off the overcast skies and consistent drizzle, we got in 3 short hours, and Paul landed 20 peas, including a 4 lber and a monster male who weighed in at 7 lbs...

Check out the color variations on these two...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_p9261673.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	52145

4 lbs...

Name:	rsz_p9261677.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	52146

7 pound male...

Name:	rsz_p9261674.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	52147

Next up was Phil, who wanted to hit a spot we named Crossroads, where two canals intersect and hold large mouth, peacocks, tarpon, snook, and even an occasional manatee...Not much action Thursday evening but did manage some small peas and this 22" snook...

Name:	rsz_p9231668.jpg 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	52148

Finally, Friday night was Ed's turn to fish for freshwater tarpon at the Rake...As we pulled up, we quickly noticed the water flowing and tarpon rolling...First bait in the water lasted all but 5 minutes before this 15 lb 'poon engulfed it and took Ed for a ride...4 drag screaming runs and 5 heart-stopping drops had us running up and down the banks, but we got him!

Name:	IMG_20120928_175616.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	52149

A great 3 days of fishing to kick off the weekend...

Looks like your still on 'um .
    "You'll get your weather"

Very nice!

Thanks for the report and the pics are awesome. I live close to the place you call crossroads and have fished there a few times. Haven't had much luck there but have seen some big linesiders.

Great report. I know the lakes you are fishing in South Broward County. If you are not doing so already, please leave the bedding peacock bass on the beds so the eggs do not get eaten by chiclids or tilapia. We took a hard hit already a couple years ago with a harsh winter. I am trying to have my kids grow up with a peacock fishery near by. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyLegal View Post
    Great report. I know the lakes you are fishing in South Broward County. If you are not doing so already, please leave the bedding peacock bass on the beds so the eggs do not get eaten by chiclids or tilapia. We took a hard hit already a couple years ago with a harsh winter. I am trying to have my kids grow up with a peacock fishery near by. Thanks
    Yes, let the invasive species flourish...

nice ! hard to tell, looks like a fat snook ?

Quote Originally Posted by mandaferret View Post
    Yes, let the invasive species flourish...
    I haven't really heard of Peacock Bass being considered an invasive species, nonnative sure, but they were originally stocked by the FWC to control populations of invasive species... hell im not sure what to really consider invasive anymore, seems alotta very reputable anglers in SFL don't view snakeheads to be very detrimental to native species. FWC did not even mention snakeheads in the latest fishing regulations booklet. But the rapidly increasing numbers of blue tilapia around my parts does concern me...(fwc encourages not to release blue tilapia)

I never cease to be amazed at the diversity of the fishery in SFL, and Reel-Deel has it dialed in!!

Quote Originally Posted by RemoteRedsTrout View Post
    I haven't really heard of Peacock Bass being considered an invasive species, nonnative sure, but they were originally stocked by the FWC to control populations of invasive species... hell im not sure what to really consider invasive anymore, seems alotta very reputable anglers in SFL don't view snakeheads to be very detrimental to native species. FWC did not even mention snakeheads in the latest fishing regulations booklet. But the rapidly increasing numbers of blue tilapia around my parts does concern me...(fwc encourages not to release blue tilapia)
    IMO, any non-native that was introduced by people is an invasive. And to the fact of people saying their bass fisheries are better with snakeheads, they aren't evaluating the numbers of native sunfishes and topminnows are they?

Quote Originally Posted by mandaferret View Post
    IMO, any non-native that was introduced by people is an invasive. And to the fact of people saying their bass fisheries are better with snakeheads, they aren't evaluating the numbers of native sunfishes and topminnows are they?
    Good point.....

Ill say that the direction we're heading with non-native species concerns me. At this rate its hard to imagine where things will be in 100 years. When I see seas of blue tilapia at my local ponds, even a bunch of plecos, it really irks me. For awhile I was ticked when I saw alotta carp in a pond but found out that thankfully they are triploid and cant reproduce....good to know because im sure they produce a ton of waste......but to quote Jurrasic Park "nature finds a way" (sorry for my jumbled thoughts just got back from a 13 hour workday)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast