Shark Fishing off Little Gasparilla (Jan 4th)

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shark Fishing off Little Gasparilla (Jan 4th)

I am a new member but I have been fishing in the region for years. Mainly in Captiva and Sanibel.

I was on Little Gasparilla Island for New Years and the fishing was poor due to red tide and somewhat cooler weather. The four days after New Years was pleasant and finally got into some fish back in the bay. Several rat reds, about ten ladyfish, couple of blues, a flounder and a snook on the last day. The main baits were root beer swimbaits, mirrodines, and gulp shrimp (New Penny).

I decided to fish off the beach at night with the ladyfish in hopes of catching a shark or a bull red. It was my last day at the beach before I had to return to Boston, so I figured I'd enjoy the weather at least. After about 30 minutes with bait in the water my Stradic 8000 went off and 50 minutes later I had this shark on the beach.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5404.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	67364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5410.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	67365

After a quick photoshoot, I successfully released it back into the gulf. I look forward to posting more photos in the future.

Campbell

Nice catch! It looks like a bull shark, must have been a heck of a fight. Keep them pics goin!

nice! yes thats a Bull, caught it on a Stradic did ya, that must have been fun!

Nice work on the shark. That must have been a blast.

How bad's the red tide at LGI? We go there every June and really hope it doesn't mess up our trip this year.
    There is nothing in the world as expensive as that which the government gives away for "free."

was there today everything looked and smelled normal. No dead fish.

In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(
    Where were you on LGI? We were down there in November and didn't catch any sharks. We were down toward the inlet closest to Boca Grande.

Stradic's are the only way to go... I would take a Penn though for line capacity sake.

The problem I usually have with shark fishing off the beach is the first run and then the tail whips. So in order to solve the first problem, put on as much 50 lb. power pro as possible. The second problem is fixed with using a rig with 18 inches of 250 lb. steel cable, connected to a 6 foot piece of weed whacker string... works like a charm. Credit my uncle for that little creation. With a 12' foot surf rod, you should be able to get it past the sand bar. That is as far as you need to draw in big sharks... I have been spooled many of times.

All in all it was a great fight. I even got the gf and lil sister in on the action.

Name:	IMG_5394.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	67797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5392.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	67798

As for where I was... not so sure. It was my first time being there so I am not 100% sure. But I was about smack in the middle of the island. Bout 1.5 miles from the pass and .75 miles from the national park. Near the pink house that looks like it's gonna fall in the water. We really enjoyed our stay there and the folks at the New Years Eve party were real friendly.

I caught this black tip last fourth of July in the pass between North Captiva and Cayo Costa. Caught it with a mullet head drifting through. Made several great dinners. The ladies of the family got sick of it but as long as you mix the meals up with bronzing, blackening, fried, and soy sauce/brown sugar. You will be more than pleased. I have a video catching it but there's quite a bit of cursing. I don't wanna get kicked off the site this early.

Name:	133.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	67799

Great Work!

In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(
    Ha, I know exactly where you were then, almost rented the pink house for our trip. I drifted live pinfish and cut lady fish during the day from my kayak out to the first set of bouys and nothing hit it. Oh well, guess I'll have to try it again!

Quote Originally Posted by anglerondrag View Post
    Nice catch! It looks like a bull shark, must have been a heck of a fight. Keep them pics goin!
    It's actually a nice sandbar shark. The bulls have a more curved/pointed dorsal fin and a much shorter/broader snout. Great catch, though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast