Warmer Water Temps Mean Great Snook Fishing!

Florida Sportsman

Warmer Water Temps Mean Great Snook Fishing!

The water temps have warmed up an entire 10 degrees or so the last few couple of weeks with the summertime weather pattern we've been enjoying recently here in Southwest Florida. We have found water up into the mid 70's on the flats. Snook seem to be the most prevalent bite this week on the flats along with dozens of seatrout. We've been fishing the first half of the incoming tide concentrating our casts around mullet schools and along the edges of potholes. Plenty of action on fly using small baitfish patterns and soft plastics like Mirrolure 3" paddletails in white with chartreuse tail and rootbeer. Snook have been in the 24-29" range.

http://www.finseekerguidedadventuresfl.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pisnook2.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	69342
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pisnook1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	69343

Dude, your fly reel is submerged!

Your not kidding , but more like a spring time pattern ,, what local are you fishing Estero Bay or PIne Island area

Nice snook for sure, but

Quote Originally Posted by capeangler View Post
    Dude, your fly reel is submerged!
    Ouch!!! Hope it wasn't expensive.
    There is nothing in the world as expensive as that which the government gives away for "free."

Ewwww. Not good.

Nice fish. I've been wanting to start flyfishing a little bit around here, but I've only done it up north for bass and bluegill, so my rods are a 3 weight and a 6. Think I can get away with the 6 on open flats, or will I really need to bump up to a 9-10?

Happens a lot out on the kayaks. Another day of reel dunking today!He seemed to have a pretty solid, capable reel that looked like it could withstand the effects of a good dunk. Think it was a Lamson Konic? I was fishing the Pine Island area. The water temps have dropped again..good action on trout and pompano lately but snook and especially reds have been hard to come by lately.

kmagnuss, thanks! I usually use a 9 especially if its windy or am
    casting weighted flies, otherwise a 6 or 7wt is the preferred choice for the open flats here or casting to snook along the beach. Have fun!
    Last edited by jkayakfly; 01-26-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkayakfly View Post
    Happens a lot out on the kayaks. Another day of reel dunking today!He seemed to have a pretty solid, capable reel that looked like it could withstand the effects of a good dunk. Think it was a Lamson Konic? I was fishing the Pine Island area. The water temps have dropped again..good action on trout and pompano lately but snook and especially reds have been hard to come by lately.

kmagnuss, thanks! I usually use a 9 especially if its windy or am
    casting weighted flies, otherwise a 6 or 7wt is the preferred choice for the open flats here or casting to snook along the beach. Have fun!
    That is a very popular spot but it takes some paddling to get there.....I prefer taking my flats boat there. Nice Snook.
    For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen