Fish tales and Fly Rods

Florida Sportsman

Fish tales and Fly Rods

Well, thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I've finally gotten a chance to sit down and write something. The weather the past few weeks has been something like a dream, and it was only a matter of time before it came to an end. Those flat calm days where the wind never picks up in the afternoon were starting to becoming fairly common place over the last few weeks, and it made for some awesome sight fishing.

On one of these days I was able to venture out alone(which has started to become quite rare), and do some serious scouting. I soon found myself surrounded with fish, and it wasn't long before a few joined me for a quick photo shoot on the boat. More often than not, it is easy to get caught up in trying to catch these fish; though lately, just watching them do their thing has been just as cool. But what can I say? I had to pull on a few before I got the camera out. Alone on the river with a big fish on the end of the line - these are my favorite days.

On another beautifully epic day, I was able to have guest Capt. Tyler Vollmer aboard my boat for the first time in awhile. Fly fishing for tailing redfish was what we had in mind for the day, and Tyler had us on them about as soon as I shut the motor off and grabbed the push pole. Right away, there was a nice little pod of tailing fish heading straight for us. Tyler grabbed his fly rod, and assumed the position on front. He managed to hook up almost immediately before he was broken off, and his excitement turned to frustration. Fortunately, we looked ahead and found there was another school of fish all tailed up and ready. This time the fish would be landed and pictures would be taken.

After a few photos which switched positions, and I was able to throw a fly at some fish for the first time in awhile.

After we each had gotten our fly fix, we picked up the spinning rods and managed to grab a few more reds and lost just about as many as we landed. It had been a pretty decent day and hunger was starting to set in, so we left the lagoon and headed in to get some food.
    About the time we were leaving the restaurant, we noticed it was still flat calm out on the river. And now that our hunger batteries were recharged, we started thinking about heading back out for the afternoon bite. However, this time we brought Tyler's brother Arron. Arron had yet to catch his first big redfish, so with a challenge set, we headed to the boat ramp.

This time we weren't going to be pulling out fly rods. Live bait was going to be a must, and we needed to find some before we went looking for fish. So, We got a few pinfish in the well and started our search. Luckily, it didn't take too long to find these fish. They were pretty much waving us over to them with their tails. And in no time at all, Arron was hooked up to the biggest redfish of his life.

All-in-all, it was another great day in the books. I just can't wait for this wind to lay back down..
    Last edited by Capt. Eric Myers; 10-27-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Senior Member Pescatoral Pursuit's Avatar
    Great post!

"Sometimes things are exactly as they seem."

Good job!!

Indian River Shores FL & Martha's Vineyard
    Nice work...someone better feed Arron some cheeseburgers and put some meat on his bones!

Awesome report! Great photos too. Congrats on the successful trips guys.

Kayaks by Bo Pro Staff
    Kayakfishingradio.com dag gone Fishin Magician
    Space Coast Kayak Angler (facebook)