Flounder around New Smyrna and cocoa?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flounder around New Smyrna and cocoa?

Where is somewhere decent by foot around these areas to find this flat good eating fish ?

Wait a couple weeks till they start migrating and then hit ponce... You will not be disappointed...

I thought ponce was all mostly rock all around the jetties. Gotta have sand for flounder

Wrong!! flounders will also lay right next to the rocks...and there is sand around those rocks just saying...
    "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"

Banned
    I've heard the beach along where the big cruise ship parking garage is, just east of the draw bridge holds flounder. Just don't get too close to the shoreline 'cause they own the Port PD.

you need a boat though^

That whole area use to be open to shore fishermen and after 9/11 they started closing up everything on the North side..
    hell its only been a couple of yrs that they close the north side of the drawbridge to us..

Hell even with a boat you will still get run off... it all depends on the person working the docks and if he thinks you are too
    close he will call it in...

I remember being out there one time (boat) and getting check three times ... it becoming a tourist hole and they dont
    want fishermen smelling the place up...

You have to have Ninja Skills to fish the Port from shore
    "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettypark View Post
    That whole area use to be open to shore fishermen and after 9/11 they started closing up everything on the North side..
    hell its only been a couple of yrs that they close the north side of the drawbridge to us..

Hell even with a boat you will still get run off... it all depends on the person working the docks and if he thinks you are too
    close he will call it in...

I remember being out there one time (boat) and getting check three times ... it becoming a tourist hole and they dont
    want fishermen smelling the place up...

You have to have Ninja Skills to fish the Port from shore
    Tell me about it. I was fishing PC back when you could drive on the salt docks where all the sheepshead were, fish the turning basin, and especially the corner past the coast guard spot that was snook/ ribbonfish heaven. A couple of years ago I was accosted by the popo for being to close to the parking garage while cast netting mullet.

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy View Post
    Wait a couple weeks till they start migrating and then hit ponce... You will not be disappointed...
    ya, wait til about the end of december....
    I am choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford Cletus View Post
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.

Flounder are caught year 'round in the river and inlets. Sure the larger fish are caught around the inlet as they move offshore to spawn. It's hard to find a place to fish on the shore. I use Gulp shrimp and do well with them. Fish mudholes, around docks or off of oyster bars. Flounder are ambushers, meaning they hide behind a piling or on a dropoff waiting for bait to pass. Mud minnows or finger mullet are bait of choice or arties. Check out the dozens of flounder videos on youtube for some good tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast