2012 Flounder poundin' season...... and how to limit out!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

2012 Flounder poundin' season...... and how to limit out!

Sorry I havnt been able to report much this year, work has been crazy! Now that the season has slowed down though, its time to pick up on my fishing where I left off. Just in time for the flounder run! Many of you know how crazy I am for flounder fishing..... and soon sheepshead, and then schooling reds, and then spring cobia fishing, okay, you get the point, Im crazy about fishing period. Watching all of my friends get to fish way more than me this year has made me a very jealous man! But enough of that, time to get back on the water.

Disclaimer: I am no "expert", just offering what little help I can.

This years flounder run has been very confusing. Ive been trying to keep tabs on my friends since Ive been too busy, and the information they are giving me has been wierd. I finally got out on the water to see for myself on tuesday, and yup, things are not going as expected. First of all, the "thick" of the flounder, is still way up river. "Up river" to me, is downtown. A few friends have been stomping them hard up there, so we went into unfamiliar territory to check things out. We fished several places that looked fishy, you know, docks, rocky areas, coves, creek mouths, etc. and found some fish..... but heres were things get wierd. If downtown is "up" river, and mayport is "down" river, than you guys can figure out what I would mean by "mid" river. Last year "mid" river turned into the slaughter area for flounder, we were limiting out with stud fish every trip. From up river, we followed them through the mid section, then finally started wearing them out in mayport. This year, they seemed to have skipped mid river, at least so far, that is. The few spots mid river that we destroyed them in last year, dont seem to be holding any fish. However, we are already catching plentiful fish in mayport. Very strange IMO. So in short, they are being slayed right now up river, an example would be Luis, who is getting limits in an hour. We cant find a fish mid river, but have started to see numbers in mayport. I hope that helps your search.....

As for baits, if you've been on this forum since last year, you know my affliction with spinner baits. I can catch more fish on spinner baits than 90% of folks with perfect finger mullet. Here is a post from last year that went over 13,000 views were we talked a lot about spinners, how to use them, etc.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...+spinners+baby

You can cover lots of ground fast with these spinner baits, and they are as deadly as a bait can be for flounder. Work your spinner back to the boat with a slow retrieve, bouncing it along the bottom back to you. You usually get hit as the bait falls back down. I choose white curly tail or paddletail grubs on the jig, but a finger mullet on that same spinner rig is the deadliest combo of all. Where there is one flounder, there is almost always more, so concentrate your efforts in the same spot several times before moving on, if you want to limit out. Another note is the hook set.... I set the hook immediatly when fishing spinners instead of waiting like I do with live mullet ff rigs. Dont be surprised when you catch flounder nearly as small as the rig its self, and you will catch em all the way up to the doormats.

One of the better ones from tuesday-

We did a bunch of exploring new spots on tuesday up river, and only ended with 10 fish. But if the plan works out, we are going to pound some known spots this weekend to get the freezer filled back up. Ill update very soon, and as always, feel free to ask any questions I may be able to help with! Untill then, tight lines my friends!
    Last edited by Boattronics; 10-25-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Good Information.
    Last edited by arunram; 10-25-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Good info thanks! Do you prefer the chartreuse jig head?

Nice report Tony. Very helpful. I'll head out tomorrow in hopes of finding some.

Thanks guys! My pleasure.

Arun.... I know you have been slayin em too, will you share what "section" of the river your fish have been coming from?

Spald... I prefer a chartruese jig head, and I change the weight frequently to match depth and current. I most commonly use 1/4 ounce, for say, up to about 10' depth with medium current, and go heavier from there for more depth/current. And, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

MM... good luck, keep us posted.

This just in.......I just talked to Luis earlier, that is one fishy sumamubeetch! He said they got a two man limit in about two hours yesterday, IN MAYPORT! He said his bite up river has slowed down, and yesterday they smashed them right here in mayport at a few of his favorite private docks and rocks. No need for any long runs any more, they are now thick in my neck of the river! He said they were all solid fish too, and will post some pics shortly.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

Im getting pm's about my rig. "Redfish magic" is the classic bait rig, but Slayer Inc also makes a few versions that are even nicer. You should also try the "in-line" spinner style near grass lines. Something about that "saftey pin" style, I have always loved them. They work fantastic on reds too, as the name implies, so if there are any reds in the area, you will know that too.
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

Braved the wind for a few hours today, found a new spot but then got ran off, with no signs posted in the area, I was pretty bummed out after catching 3 flatties in about 10 minutes..... so we headed back to some old mayport holes. Caught 7 or 8 fish with 5 keepers to about 5lbs. The wind was brutal!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351280622415.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	55845

This was Luis' slayfest the other day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351280710418.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	55846
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

Thanks for the pep talk on spinners. Im'll try em' out this year!!!!
    Good luck fellas!

You'll love 'em Steve...... congrats again on your recent doormatt!
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boattronics View Post
    You'll love 'em Steve...... congrats again on your recent doormatt!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast