Any Grass carp fishermen here?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any Grass carp fishermen here?

After catching my first carp a few days ago and realizing how much a fight they give, wanted to try it again today and caught a monster (in my book) and lost one. Of course the fish was released.

I really want to get in to it. Any pointers and advise on carp fishing is appreciated. I catch them by first chumming the water with white bread and then after seeing them feeding, I hide a small hook in a quarter slice of bread and throw. They seem to be very line shy and also shy of your presence. I almost crawl on the ground to casting distance to make sure they don't notice me.

Thanks for any tips. Here is a couple of pictures from Today.

Arun.

When I was a kid we would chum with canned corn in the Erie canal in upstate NY. Then cover a size 4 or so hook with a few kernels. Put on a split shot and dead stick it on the bottom amongst the chum. Sit and wait for the rod to double over. I dont think the were grass carp though..they had more of a sucker type mouth then what you have in the pic. Some of them got to be 4' long and fought like hell.

I have them all over the pond near my house and can't get them suckers to eat. Tried everything from carp bait, corn, bread...they eat it all except for what has a hook in it. I hooked one since trying and I think it was a fluke. Mine are also very wary of me and I have to stay out of sight for them to come near my bait at all.

Try putting some vegitation on the hook

Quote Originally Posted by Element View Post
    When I was a kid we would chum with canned corn in the Erie canal in upstate NY. Then cover a size 4 or so hook with a few kernels. Put on a split shot and dead stick it on the bottom amongst the chum. Sit and wait for the rod to double over. I dont think the were grass carp though..they had more of a sucker type mouth then what you have in the pic. Some of them got to be 4' long and fought like hell.
    Thanks for the Info. I have seen many folks talk abot using corn. I'll have to try that out too!

Quote Originally Posted by Phinatical View Post
    I have them all over the pond near my house and can't get them suckers to eat. Tried everything from carp bait, corn, bread...they eat it all except for what has a hook in it. I hooked one since trying and I think it was a fluke. Mine are also very wary of me and I have to stay out of sight for them to come near my bait at all.
    I too realized they are very very wary of my presence. You are right about them not taking the one with the hook. A challenging fish to catch fo sure. Boy they put up a fight when hooked!

Arun.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheedge5658 View Post
    Try putting some vegitation on the hook
    Will have to try that. Glad you mentioned that. When I mow my lawn they feed on the grass clippings. So I'll have to place a bunch of grass on a tiny stout hook. Will give that a try and let you know how it works out!

Arun.

Yah man i do. Fun fish and right in the ole back yard too. Back in the days when i wasn't fat. That fat business is going away this winter Got my membership at L.A. Fitness lol.

We have some very big Blue gill in our pond as well. Used to be Talapia too but they froze to death 2 winters ago.
    Last edited by Morocco_madness; 10-29-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Oh forgot to mention how i caught mine. I do the same thing chumming with bread. Once i know they are around i ball up a large piece of white bread and bury the entire hook in the bread ball. I use no weight. The weight of the bread ball is enough to cast out. I too have floated large pieces hooked into the crust and tossed out. When i have done it this way i use no weight. Problem i have always had was the wind would blow it back to the shore line. I definitely prefer the bait ball method. You may have smarter Carp too. Ive seen Carp that wont even touch bread before. They can be pretty damn challenging. Tell you what though, Talapia is the holy grail of "challenging" fresh water fish down here. They wont touch anything ive thrown at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Morocco_madness View Post
    Oh forgot to mention how i caught mine. I do the same thing chumming with bread. Once i know they are around i ball up a large piece of white bread and bury the entire hook in the bread ball. I use no weight. The weight of the bread ball is enough to cast out. I too have floated large pieces hooked into the crust and tossed out. When i have done it this way i use no weight. Problem i have always had was the wind would blow it back to the shore line. I definitely prefer the bait ball method. You may have smarter Carp too. Ive seen Carp that wont even touch bread before. They can be pretty damn challenging. Tell you what though, Talapia is the holy grail of "challenging" fresh water fish down here. They wont touch anything ive thrown at them.
    Thanks for the Info. buddy. I have fed tilapia before at the world golf village lakes. There are some huge tilapia in there! I too have the same problem of the floating bread slice catching the wind and ending up in the shore line. I'm going to try with grass clippings next!

Arun.

Always wondered if that would work. Let us know how it goes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast