Stradic

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Stradic

Stradic

I have a stradic 4000 fi that is making a slight rubbing sound? when the handle is almost parallel to to the reel seat stem, has anyone had a similar issue? You can feel a tiny bump as well and is only noticeable when your hand is not on the handle. I guess I'm just paranoid.

Thanks in Advance.

Senior Member Pescatoral Pursuit's Avatar
    Great wealth of info, this forum, huh.

Have you taken it apart? Did this start after fighting a big fish, or getting dropped? I'm no expert, but my first suspicion is a bent handle.
    "Sometimes things are exactly as they seem."

"That's one of the things I
    like about it is how depressing it is. It's
    like where dreams go to die."

Took it apart, gearing looks to be in perfect condition, I'm starting to believe if might be a bent handle as well, I had a power knob but after removing it the tick is really insignificant, this all occurred after fighting a 50lb Red with full drag.

Thanks for being the first reply lol.

Senior Member Pescatoral Pursuit's Avatar
    Well did you land the red? If so, why isn't there a report and pics? (Just bustin your chops.)

If you were intentionally using tackle that small to "hunt" fish that big, this could be a lesson learned. I've had to get over the "Killing Goliath with a Slingshot" syndrome, and now do a better job matching my tackle to the size of my quarry.

It's better for the tackle and the fish.
    "Sometimes things are exactly as they seem."

"That's one of the things I
    like about it is how depressing it is. It's
    like where dreams go to die."

I was targeting the massive amount of slot reds around but I must have been "unlucky" to have hooked the only monster of the day, to much surprise the fish was landed quickly and was very green.

Eh! I guess it's about time I started getting back in shape so heavier tackle doesn't tire me out.

As for a report, for some stink-in reason every time I bring a real camera I can't even catch bait. Oh well cell phone pics will tell the tale.

Don't even try to pronounce it! Masaryktown, Fl.
    One of the issues that pops up with the Stradic is the friction ring deteriorates and lets the spool start to wobble some and rub...

If you can look up under the body of the reel at the spool, see if there is an accumulation of rubber material...that is the friction ring breaking down.

When I do reel service I try to make sure there is a coat of grease on them...

I've heard of the ring basically disintegrating over time, no matter the use.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

Friction ring troubles finally led Shimano to put out a new ring made of some kind of synthetic material (the ones I was able to get for the FH series are now blue instead of black...). What Shimano seems to have done whenever a particular part causes trouble is issue a replacement.... but with the same part number (this was true with the early line roller bearings as well...). The net result is that anyone ordering replacement parts can never be sure if they're getting the old part or the new one until it arrives. I think that's a major flaw in their parts system (but no one's asked me my opinion....). Yes, the original friction ring deteriorates... the new one appears pretty durable on the reels I've installed it on.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Mine was doing something similiar. I changed out the spool bearing and bingo. Everything back to normal and I do not use the friction ring by the way.