Snook for Jake on Saturday Night

Florida Sportsman

Snook for Jake on Saturday Night

Well I told you they were biting.
    I took my son Jake fishing tonight.
    Since the mullet were jumping all over the place, I decided I would chunk the net for a few, mainly so Jake would have a chance to keep up with his old man.
    We chunked a few times and got enough. Nice size ones too.
    I am a little rusty I must say with the net or maybe still gun shy from that manatee episode.
    Anyway we hung out at this one place and about the end of the outgoing, while I was tying a knot, Jake starts screaming " I got something, I got something".
    I was saying to myself sure you probably got a catfish or something.
    But then I turned around and see that his pole was bent over real hard like in a "C" shape.
    Well now we are in business. This was no catfish this was a certified lunker.
    Jake fought him like a champ and brought him over to where I grabbed him and slapped him down for the 1st down measurement and low and behold it was a tad too big for inviting home for momma to see.
    So we took a few photos did some high fives and did some father son bonding the rest of the night.
    Funny thing was while we were eating our snook dinner earlier in the evening we decided that we would let go any slot fish we caught tonight.
    Well that turned out not to be an issue, as Jake outfished his old man tonight.
    All I caught was a foul hooked catfish, a scorpion fish and some mullet to top off the trash can slam.

Nice catch!

Outstanding Linesider....congrats to your son Jake on one helluva nice snook. Great story man....that big grin says it all...very cool.

hey man just wondering. i just started using one of those lip pliers like yer sons got..and it tore thru the fish's lip..have ya had this happen too? i hate to damage the fish before i release it

btw thats a dang nice fish
    16 ccf wellcraft.....

I have a Boga grip. I have not had any issues ripping lips.
    But make sure not to hang big snook by the lips as it tears the cartilage that attaches their head to the body. No need to weigh just measure.