Custom acid wrapped jigging rod - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here's some pictures of a finished rod w/reel (penn baha special), I had 3 built all with these reels on them. They are 6' Seeker Hercules Heavy Blanks with fuji guides/reel seat and x-wrap handles. The rods turned out awesome, rediculously light and incredibly strong. These rods seem like they weigh less than my light inshore spinners! The attention to detail is fanastic, I dont have a close up pic but Ray got a logo of our boat on rod, the 'Southward Special'. I lifted 30 pounds in dive weights with the rod for a test in the one pic, I couldnt keep the weight in the air long as the drag was slipping on the reel but it lifted it without issue. I love the length and ESPECIALLY the acid wrap, can really lean on these things without any torquing at all! Unfortunately its windy as heck this week so I havent got any blood on them yet, but soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30lb.jpg   rod.jpg   photo.jpg  

would like to post pics as i think zward forgot to update his thread with the fish pics.
    Hey Ray, got to try out the rods the other day and they worked fantastic! Highlights of the trip were big 100ish lb Goliath grouper and a 98lb amberjack! In the pic my brother and I both had to hold it (he's 6'4" and I'm 6'3") This was by far my biggest AJ and I couldn't have been more pleased with the rod! Feel free to show the pics to whoever
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	65733

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	65734

Got Ray working me up a grouper\snapper digger now. If the govt ever opens it back up, ill be set.

Quote Originally Posted by tapate View Post
    Got Ray working me up a grouper\snapper digger now. If the govt ever opens it back up, ill be set.
    Don't count on it!

You'll love the Hercules blank. I had a couple built up on 6' XHs. Kind of wish I'd gone with the H. The XHs are true beasts! Still love them, though. LIght as light can be and and some kind of powerful.

So far there is nothing that I would change with the rods. Despite all the online chatter and raving reviews about the Makairas... I have been somewhat disappointed in my 15s. In fact, they're about to go back to California for the second time. Thank God for the 5 year warranty. We pull some big grouper every year and basically what happens (I've only fished 1.5 seasons with them) is thgat at some point during the season one of the reels (not sure if it's the same culprit or not) will begin to loose freespool significantly before the other one. ONe of my reels freespools like a champ and with a glove on I can barely pull line off it. Lever pushes forward smoothly and with no excessive pressure. Other one looses freespool at a drag setting that I can easily pull line off with no glove at full. Just frustrating.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Thanks. Going with 40-80 acid wrapped . Should be ideal!

Hey guys sorry havent been on the forums in a while. I was amazed at how great these rods fished, and Ray's work as well. The combination of 6' hercules blank and the acid wrap reallys lets you put the wood to fish. I actually thought my brother had just a big gag or red when he pulled up that 100lb goliath.

Stuck up here in MN right now so the only fishing rods I'm using are 30" UL ice rods

Just wanted to update this thread, have had close to a year to fish the rods Ray built me and they are proven grouper/snapper slayers! Love the sensitivity for muttons but plenty of backbone for big grouper and AJ's. Thanks again Ray!

Name:	DSCN6340.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	133113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6347.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	133114

Glad they are working out for you.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12