Time for some bird photos - Page 7

Florida Sportsman

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4009.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	70280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4044.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	70278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4055.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	70281

Where did you shoot the white pelicans?

The white pelicans are only here in the Winter (central Florida, Lake Harney, St. Johns River chain).

Banned
    Also on Lake Harris and Crystal River they are abundant...

Some from this year at Black Point Wildlife Drive.

Backyard Woodpecker...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bethanyc.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	71198

Loons

Apologize for the quality as light was very low for my 300. Been in Florida for 60 years and have never seen or heard a Loon until now. These two showed up about a week ago and only appear in the intracoastal behind my place about 45 min. before dark. Tonight we heard their call for the first time...eerie and very loud would be my description. Were traveling in our camper about two years ago in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and talked with a lady in Whitefish Point about the Loons. She was well versed on them and said they do migrate to Florida in the winter but they do not sound out their call. We never did get to see one in Michigan so were very surprised when they showed up this week at our backdoor. Am going to try and set up the tripod tomorrow and see if I can get some better shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Loon.2.jpg  

Barlow...
    Quote Originally Posted by barlow46 View Post
    Apologize for the quality as light was very low for my 300. Been in Florida for 60 years and have never seen or heard a Loon until now. These two showed up about a week ago and only appear in the intracoastal behind my place about 45 min. before dark. Tonight we heard their call for the first time...eerie and very loud would be my description. Were traveling in our camper about two years ago in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and talked with a lady in Whitefish Point about the Loons. She was well versed on them and said they do migrate to Florida in the winter but they do not sound out their call. We never did get to see one in Michigan so were very surprised when they showed up this week at our backdoor. Am going to try and set up the tripod tomorrow and see if I can get some better shots.
    Loons are pretty interesting....
    they inhabit the ms. coast from november until may\june....we have a few year around as well....

the myth that they don't make their beautiful call during migration is just that, a myth....
    one of our local and most respected birders with her own paper column, (she has passed) made the statement some 40 years ago...
    she was obviously wrong....they do indeed make their call, and on still, foggy days can be heard at great distances...
    i notified the birder she was wrong...she inturn told me i was fos.....
    i invited her to my house on ocean springs harbor to sit for a while....there were a raft of loons in the harbor so there was quite a bit evidence....
    she got up and left...she also never admited being wrong....

i also did some work with an ornithologist named paul spitzer on a program he had a grant for studying loons....
    you can google his work up....fascinating work....
    it was very interesting work.....

tim
    Last edited by mississippi mac; 02-06-2013 at 11:45 AM.

The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....

Tim,
    Thanks for that information..interesting read on Spitzer. I also would like to invite the Docent from the UP to sit on my deck and listen to that call. They were here again late yesterday afternoon and sounding off like there was no tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Tim

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast