Flounder hunt and more - 01/13/2012

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flounder hunt and more - 10/13/2012

Went scouting for flounder with my partner Bob this saturday. It was a slow day for quality flatties. We threw everything except the kitchen sink and tried so many spots that looked fishy. Kept some real nice ones. Many 12" to 14" went back to the drink. Spoke to a commercial flounder gigger and he said they are not schooled up in large numbers yet in the usual areas. We will go for them again soon.

Pictures of flatties:

Bob hooked on this big gar that we both thought was a monster flounder..lol

My rigging for flounder:

Tried a new technique that produced 2 nice flatties. Here is a picture of it. A self made 3 way swivel with one line of 8" leader tied to a weedless hook and an artificial, another end to a 20" leader with a split shot, circle hook and a tail hooked mullet. This rod will be placed in the rod holder. The mullet will swim on the bottom and also bounce the lure on the bottom. Both times the fish hit the artificial. Here is the picture of the rig and below it a picture of a fish on it.

The rig for the rod I hold in hand is this. 30 to 50 lb power pro >> swivel >> 4" 50 lb flouro leader with 3/4 oz egg sinker with a green or red bead >> swivel >> 3" 20 lb flouro leaded snelled to a live bait hook >> lip hooked mullet.

This evening caught my very first carp. Caught in my backyard free lining/floating a 1/4 slice of white bread with a couple drops of vanilla extract. Never knew the carp fight so freaking hard. It did acrobatics like a tarpon too!!

Please share your flounder rigs too if you don't mind.

Happy fall fishing!

Arun.
    Last edited by arunram; 10-15-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Very nice, that's an interesting rig you made there. I plan on going out this week hunting too...
    Older.....Slower....but I still put the fear of GOD in the fishes..........

Nice rig. I like it!

Man ....That's a late report !!

I've heard of waiting 10 days to report...but 10 months is a first !!.....

BTW...Nice work....

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Slug-O View Post
    Very nice, that's an interesting rig you made there. I plan on going out this week hunting too...
    Thanks Leon! Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by pilingjunky View Post
    Nice rig. I like it!
    Thanks! Felt good to see a plan come together!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Snake View Post
    Man ....That's a late report !!

I've heard of waiting 10 days to report...but 10 months is a first !!.....

BTW...Nice work....

Steve
    Thanks and fixed..lol!

Arun.

I fished Saturday as well. Hit the Dames Point area. Forgot the remote to the TM, so that sucked. We bounced around to a few different spots, managed a few flounder, all but one went back into the drink. Dad caught a nice 26 inch red. All flounder were caught on white gulp 4 inch swimming mullet on a white 3/8 oz slayer inc jighead with a Punisher Junior willow blade spinner. Fished with a standard fishfinder as well, but the flounder were chewing on the spinners. Didn't get a single hit on the fishfinder rig.

Nice carp and interesting rig Arun, whats the bead for?

Quote Originally Posted by wally910 View Post
    I fished Saturday as well. Hit the Dames Point area. Forgot the remote to the TM, so that sucked. We bounced around to a few different spots, managed a few flounder, all but one went back into the drink. Dad caught a nice 26 inch red. All flounder were caught on white gulp 4 inch swimming mullet on a white 3/8 oz slayer inc jighead with a Punisher Junior willow blade spinner. Fished with a standard fishfinder as well, but the flounder were chewing on the spinners. Didn't get a single hit on the fishfinder rig.
    Yeah. A golden flash and a white bait with scent seem to be a killer combo for flounder. I agree about arties outfishing live bait many times. I too bought a whole bunch of artificials. I soak them all in gulp juice in a air tight plastic container. That Gotcha white chartreuse curly tail grub with pro cure/ soaked in gulp juice is deadly!!

Quote Originally Posted by dble-down View Post
    Nice carp and interesting rig Arun, whats the bead for?
    Thanks! That carp was a fun fight on panfish tackle. I thought I was going to lose it but lucky to have landed it.
    About the bead, well in my experience one day, my partner was using a fishfinder rig with a red plastic bead and I was using the same fish finder rig with a green glass bead. My rig outfished the other one completely. So I kinda noted that green color gets flounder's attention and it being made of glass pronounces a louder noise. So the bead is just for adding flash and a clicking noise. Only use glass beads. I get my beads from Michael's in the crafts section.

One more reason I believe you find my rig Interesting is the use of additional layer of 50 lb flouro to slide the sinker and bead. That is to,

1. Save the sinker in case of a snag. usually the hook is the one to snag and on a breakoff, you still save the rest of the rig.
    2. The sinker only travels 4" up the line. Which always keeps the mullet on the bottom. sometimes on a frisky mullet, the standard fishfinder rig will leave the sinker riding up the main line and the mullet will be swimming up the water column away from the flounder's strike zone.
    3. I don't like sinker riding on my braided line. It eventually frays it closer to the knot and results in a lost fish or rig.
    4. You can pre tie the sinker section of the rig at home before the fishing trip. I tie them with different weight sinkers and different color beads.
    5. The 4" of space the sinker slides still provides sensitivity like a fish finder rig so you are not losing out on feeling the bite.
    6. Adding all the hardware (swivels besds etc) to the business end doesn't spook flatties as I have noticed in our tanic colored water. In fact jazzing it up actually helps.

Arun.
    Last edited by arunram; 10-15-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Arun...try a single willow leaf blade right there in your sinker section.

When you lift up and move your bait a little bit, you'll have just a bit of flash, maybe will trigger a strike.

I've seen some fluke rigs that they use up north with those inline willow leafs....

Steve

Wow great information on the rig set up. Been looking for some flat ties and I'll def try that out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast