I Rather be Lucky than Good

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I Rather be Lucky than Good

Another great weekend , but this one had lots of events from the start . A few miles from the entrance to the WMA , in the middle of my lane were 2 big hogs , luckily I saw them and swerved and avoided ramming and damaging my truck . We checked in a headed to our spot . The plan was to wait till daylight in an area last weekend I had seen a big buck with a doe right at daylight . We waited for an hour and nothing . Well since in my usual spot I hunt not much action happened the weekend before it was time for a new game plan . We drove to a few areas and walked a while , saw a small illegal buck 25 yards from us and never paid attention to us . Drove to a small oak strand and figured at least we can get on hogs and get my buddy on his first muzzleloader kill . Only a hundred yards in I see movement in a palmetto clump . I tell him to ease in slowly and be ready for a close shot . I was ready just incase . As he moved in the wind changed and the hogs got alerted , he had no shot and I was waiting for him to shot and all the sudden they bolted out , I raised my muzzle and as soon as one come into view BOOM , cloud of smoke and I can't see my pig . Reloaded and he says there a pig just standing there . I told him thats the one I shot , shoot em in the head . He fires and pig drops . I had shot him through the lungs and he was about to drop but a quick follow up shot from him secured any tracking . Well I had one down and back to the truck , got him gutted and in the cooler . 90 Lbs Boar , 20 yard running shot .

Back on the road to do a little late morning scouting . Drove a while and saw some does heading to some nearby oaks . The rut is just beggining so eventually a buck is gonna be trailing . Drove down a trail and I see something on the side of the trail that looked like a deer bedded so I stopped . I walked around the truck and looked and there's a 3 point bedded 10 feet from me . I though he was injured or shot , I walked up to it thinking it would get up and run , but why didn't he run as we passed next to him . I walked right up to him and he wouldn't move . I tapped him with my boots and nothing , finally I reached down and grabbed him by the antler and he just stayed there no fight . I got my Gopro and filmed some and he finally got up kinda stumbling and walked in a cypress head and bedded 20 feet in the water . I got the # of the lady working the checkstation and called her and told her about what I had seen . She said she would call LEO and inform and she would get back to me . We kept going and about 2 hours later got a call that an officer was on his way if we could show where the deer was . We met the officer and went to where the buck was . He was still there , I showed her and we walked in . She took some pics and determined to dispatch to examine incase of any disease or wounds . She asked if could put inback of my tuck and take to the checkstation I said no problem . The head was removed and we gutted it to see if any internal bleedind or anything weird . All we could see some purple marks inside the skin like impact from another buck ramming him . Also had a gash behind the back of the skull where it meets the vertabrae . After more pics the lady in the checkstation she said we can either keep it or throw in the gut pile . I told her we would keep it . Well just be carefull if you are gonna eat it , I told her I would give some to my neighbor first and wait a couple days , LOL . After skinning it we noticed lots of small blood clots that looked like whe he was hit by another buck with it's rack . Well so far this has been an eventfull day . Back on the road again to finally setup treestands , got em setup but decided not to hunt the afternoon there , wind was blowing about 20 miles and was blowing in the wrong way . I decided we should drive around and it was 5 ish and game movement would pick up . As I was heading to an area that I had seen lots of hog sign , maybe my buddy could get one . I turned a corner and see a doe bout 40 yards from the road next to a flagpond , next to her all I saw was a big body and big antlers . I kept driving a few yards to a small palmetto clump and stopped and jumped out the truck . As soon as I had them in view , the doe was moving away and he turned his head and looked right at me . The only shot I had was a rear shot before he bolted . I decided to take the shot , Boom cloud of smoke I quickly reloaded and I see the buck slowly walking away hurt so all I had was a shot through the pines at his ribs Boom and he just walked a few steps and stood there , reloaded again I think I had a gatling gun instead of a muzzleloader . He finally moved a few steps and I settled on his shoulder and Boom , now he jumps and takes off WTF !!!!!!!!!! . Reached in my pockett and reloaded again and I see him drop about 80 yards away , man my heart was going 100 mph . I was walking up to him shaking and he was done , Holy Craps I couldn't believe how this happened . My buddy finally made it over and asked how big he was , I told him it's a stud . I was still shaking and thanking God for this moment . Then the usual , pics , dragging and loaded him and off again looking for hogs . My buddy heard some hogs but couldn't seal the deal . Stud 8 , 155 lbs , and after all the days event I still had my CHIT together .

Member of Big League Duck Hunter
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee

Congrats again bud! Good looking buck right there.
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice

Congrats, that's a great 8!!

That there is a nice deer. Congrats. Great story too. Did u ever actually figure out what was wrong with the three point?

Awesome buck, Ray! Can you send a bit of your good luck a bit north??
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

You sorry dawg lol Congrats that's a goodun man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass&Gas View Post
    That there is a nice deer. Congrats. Great story too. Did u ever actually figure out what was wrong with the three point?
    Thanks and no this happened yesterday , if my neighbor lives , lol . I guess nothing . I think the injury he had in the back of his neck /head area caused some nerve in the spine problem .
    Member of Big League Duck Hunter
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee

And then there are those who are both lucky and good. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by james 14 View Post
    And then there are those who are both lucky and good. Congrats.
    Exactly what I told him LOL
    Five down, Ten to go.

Ray, that 3pt sounds like he's suffering from EHD. It's been popping up all across the country this year. The midges have been bad in many places. Oddly enough, Florida usually doesn't get it in drought years (unlike other states). The midwest is having a terrible time of it because of their drought conditions. We get it when it's exceedingly wet... and that's what we're finding this season. I hope it get's cold soon so the bugs are beaten back and the deer get some relief.
    Final Approach Pro Staff, Duck Junkies Pro Staff, and proud member of the Fab Five.

I had you pissed off at "hello."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast