First fly combo!
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First fly combo!

Finally got my last piece on Thursday to complete my first fly combo. After doing a lot of research and digging around in the forum I decided to get what people had been recommending and researched those in depth more and decided to pull the trigger. Might have spent more than I had original thought I would but I'm one of those guys that when buying something, I would like to get the best that I can within my budget as to not need to upgrade my gear within the year or two. So with this setup I think I maybe set for quite awhile.

IMG_0244 (1280x960).jpg

Reel: Nautilus FWX 7/8
    Rod: TFO BVK 7wt
    Line: Royal Wulff Bermuda 2 tone 7wt
    Backing: 20lb Dacron
    And a few flies that I thought would work to get me started out.

Reason why I went with the 7wt and not 8wt was that I'll be doing inshore fishing from the kayak (Native Ultimate 12) and wading for trouts and reds. I do 95% of my fishing on the open flats so they can run around all they like and I should still be able to get them in no problem. Also, I just don't catch big fishes lol Biggest red I've caught to date is just a 26". 8wt may turn the fly easier in the wind but I don't really plan to take out the fly until the winds are calm (below 10mph) anyways. I was also keeping in mind to keep the setup as light as possible (weight wise). Which is why I went with the 7wt and FWX because it was so light compared to the other reels that I looked at. Also I like the idea of supporting USA made product when I can, especially when it's made in Florida.

One thing I did notice when looking at my reel when it came was that the backing that was spooled on for me was horribly uneven. Had to take it all out by hand and re-spooled it back on myself. When taking the line out I also noticed 95% of the time, the line coming off was always under another line. This was just asking for trouble on the water if a fish was ever gonna take me to the backing. A couple of times I did get hung up when taking the line off, if it had happened here it was gonna happen out there. Also it was over spooled with too much backing. So once removing some backing and re-spooling back on myself (this time even) I was set.

IMG_0264 (1280x960).jpgIMG_0265 (1280x960).jpg

Until I got to my leader setup....
    I'm using Mason Hard Mono as my entire leader system and can't seem to get rid of the loops that were formed from the packaging. I have my setup starting with a perfection loop on 5' of 40lb connected to 2' 1/2 of 25lb via nail to nail knot then finally to 2' of 16lb with the nail to nail knot as well. At the end of that I'll probably tie a loop knot to the fly. But how the hell do you straighten out the leader? I don't have a leader straightener tool so i was just using my hands and running the leader through my hands to use the heat generated from friction to try and straighten it out but this stuff is hard lol The 25lb and 16lb turn out pretty good but the 40lb, man that thing just does not want to give.

But I really can't wait to get out there with the fly, just have to get mother nature to agree with me. Cold fronts should start making their way here soon and I know a lot of you feel like why does it always show up on the weekends lol

Nice setup, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Bermuda. Really considering that one as I need some line for my new setup.

Congrats on the new gear. A nice big fish pulling on the end of that leader should straighten it out pretty good....

I got that exact setup in a 8wt. Your going to love it. That line works great for me it fits my casting style.

I too have the same reel and BVK 8wt but with Airflo ridge line. You will be quite happy. But I do have one question. What DORK put on your backing? Go slap the boy. . . a couple times!
    Let us know so nobody else gets that lousy service.

Just remembered, my brother got a set up at BPS last year and couldn't cast his line 20 feet. Upon inspection I discovered his fly line was on backwards.

@saltybum I ordered my reel from The Fly Fishing Shop. They spooled the backing for free when I ordered my reel and flyline from them. Originally I had wanted to order from Stillwater Fly Shop and save money on the free flyline but they were having difficulties in getting the FWX. I already emailed them the picture telling them of the poor backing spooling, still awaiting a response as to why in hell did they think that this was in anyway acceptable. So we'll see what they have to say.

Congrats! that's a sweet set up, If you can, try casting an 8wt line on that rod and see how it feels.

Felipe

With Mason, you can straighten the leader by pulling it thru your fingers a few times and it will straighten out pretty well. And congrats on the new set up!

Nice looking setup. I think the 7 will do you fine. I use my 7's 3X as much as I do my 8's, and I fish the same way you do, except out of a Gheenoe, not a kayak.

To straighten a leader, DON'T use a leader straightener (piece of rubber or leather) to pull it thru. It creates heat, and heat is death to nylon mono. Easiest way is to grab the leader in 3-foot sections and pull evenly and steadily on it for 5 seconds, then relax the tension GRADUALLY. Then move to the next 3-ft section, decreasing the pull as you get to smaller diameter leader. When that doesn't work anymore, it's time to change the leader. For the 40#, you might want to go to a softer material.

I have the exact same setup in 7wt... The Bermuda Triangle Taper is one of the best casting fly lines I have used. This is a super lightweight combo and I use this rig more than any other, except during tarpon season when my 11wts. get the nod.

For the leader... Put on a fly and secure it around a cleat, nail or other object and pull stretch the entire 9' leader all at once. Do this 3 or 4 times and you should have a straight leader. I hope this helps. I rarely break down my fly rod, so the leader only needs to be straightened once.. You will also want to stretch your fly line by pulling 3-4' sections at a time. Do this once or twice an outing and you'll be fine. If the line gets dirty or sticky, use some Glide line dressing..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast