Loran Tower - Tuna and Dolphin 10/9

Florida Sportsman

Loran Tower - Tuna and Dolphin 10/9

Heard there were some Tuna hitting off the Loran Tower, so headed out there this morning with Zach (former student of mine) and his friend, Darien. Got kind of a late start and did not get any lines in until close to 9AM. Fished 5 rods, mostly rigged with feathers and tuna jigs. Zach had this amazing "wooden bird" that trailed a feathered jig about 3 feet behind. Made lots of splashes as we trolled around 8-9 knots. Started fishing in 125, and got our first "football" blackfin tuna in 155 ft.

Proceeded to head out a little deeper, and we were rewarded with several more blackfins and a skipjack tuna. Totaled 6 Tuna in the box within an hour. Also picked up a couple of schoolie Dolphin on the same jigs. Seemed like the fish were enjoying the water anywhere from 180 - 220 ft.

The bite turned off by 10:15, so we decided to head south to the Juno ledge and see if we could pick up a couple of Yellowtail Snapper to top off the cooler. Found some nice size ones in 71 ft of water.

While we were catching the Yellowtails, a sizable Dolphin swam up to the boat. We pitched him some dead fingerling mullet I had netted and saved, and he started eating. Darien put one on a rigged up Spinner and tossed it out to the fish....only took a few seconds and his reel was screaming. After a few nice jumps and a good fight, fish was gaffed (Zach did the "meat gaff" on him!) and on the boat. Nice size fish!

Great day on the water, nice North-Northeast breeze at 5-10 mph kept it cool under the T Top. Called it "quits" around 12:15.
    Tally for the day: 6 Tuna, 3 Dolphin, 4 Yellowtail, Porgie, and the usual throwbacks (jacks, bluerunners, triggers, grunts)

That is a great day Chris!! Way to go!!

Wifey is jealous! But happy to have some sushi tonight!

Thanks for the report. Heading out in the am and you have me even more antsy now.

Senior Member latitudeajustment's Avatar
    That is a very nice day, congrats! We also picked up some nice bft's and schoolie mahi on Sunday. Get out while u can before the big blow!

Nicely done!!

Sent from my Droid

Get the Latest Checked~Out Videos: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...er=thepaulboat

Nice colors and variety!
    USCG Licensed Captain
    Offshore & Bahamas Fishing Guide for Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.
    Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com
    http://www.palmbeachfishingcharters.biz/
    (I teach people how to catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    e-money99@live.com

very nice day.
    Boaters' Marine Services Inc. (Detailing and custom upholstery)
    561-386-9900
    Hookin 'N' Bookin Fishing Team
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hookin...6179553?ref=ts

Good trip and good eats.

I sure did get a good meat shot on her but ill get better we got her in the boat that's all that matters!!!! Thanks again Curchy for the fun trip on the Reeler we both appreciate it