Costa Lens - Does color really make a difference - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Been using the Fantails with the Amber/Green mirror 580g's and they are so much better than my Jose's with just the 580g gray lens. Much more pop when on the flats. Thanks

So if color really matters... Then will a cheap pair of amber polarized lenses from walmart work better for me then my blue mirror costas when sight fishing for reds?

Those cheap glasses do not have optically ground lenses. There is distortion to those lenses. If you have perfect eyesite and you put those glasses on things might look distorted. Most of the time your eyes can adjust to it but the longer you wear them the more you strain your eyes.If you wear them all day you might experience tired eyes later that night. I 'm a Licensed Optician since 1980.You only get one set of eyes why not protect them the best way possible. Just my 2 cents.

If you're planning to do any sight fishing the amber/copper lense is certainly an advantage. It amazes me that people on here say that it doesn't matter and suggest buying cheap glasses. These are probably the same people that plow over fish and wonder why they don't catch anything.

The 580 glass lenses in amber/copper will allow you to see the subtle changes and spot fish better. I've used Costa's for the last 15 years, but i'm sure other quality lenses are good also.
    I'm sure it makes a difference more in some areas than others depending on water color/clarity.

I never go out without them.
    Josh B.
    | Pathfinder 23 HPS | Yamaha 300 | Power-Pole | Minn-Kota | JL AUDIO | YETI |

When you say amber with green mirror, is that different than just the green 580G?? I went to the web site and was looking for that type of a description only says lens color.

Color of mirror is green. Here's their phone # 1-800-447-3700.Make sure you get 580g (glass) and not 580p(plastic) lenses.

I think the green mirror only comes on the amber lens. I didn't specify the amber lens, only the green mirror and I received the amber lens. I also came across a set of the blue mirror and they are not amber lens. Haven't had them on the water yet to see the difference though.

Does the mirror color make a difference or just the "base"? Can you pair any mirror with any base? Ilike the way the blue looks but fish inshore

Color makes very little difference even when strictly sight fishing in the shallows.

Browns, ambers, rose etc do offer better contrast of colors in the water, it's easier to see the color in a redfish or the blue on his tail with those as opposed to greys. Your still going to see the fish though with a grey.

The amount of light getting to your eye is what makes the most difference, if your sight fishing you want as much light coming in as you can tolerate. Mirror coatings just block more light.

Summary: It's the % of light getting to your eye and the quality of the lens material that really matters.

thanks mastercaster for that good response. It helped clarify it up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123