Slow out of PE 9/29

Florida Sportsman

Slow out of PE 9/29

Got a very late start out of PE on Saturday, hit the water at noon and ran offshore looking for dolphin. 6-8 miles out with NOTHING. Worked 1 weedline about 6 miles out FULL of bait and saw nothing. Decided to run back in and pound the wecks from Hillsboror back to PE. Water was clean enough but almost no current. The drifts lasted forever and felt like we were anchored. Threw back a small bft, almaco and big a$$ bonita. Back to the dock at 4:00 with an empty cooler. At least I didn't have to clean fish I guess? Red meat for dinner tonight!

There was one guy at the dock with a 15lb bull. He went out about 15 mies for that fish and released 2 peanuts. I also read a thread from Reelthunder. He had a lot of productivity at about that same range.

IMG_1290.jpg
    Snapshot 1 (9-29-2012 9-59 PM).jpg
    Snapshot 2 (9-29-2012 10-10 PM).jpg
    Catch 'em up!

Nick

at least you got out!

when the current is dead like that try dropping for vermillion & other deep dwellers.

Quote Originally Posted by nbseafrog View Post
    Got a very late start out of PE on Saturday, hit the water at noon and ran offshore looking for dolphin. 6-8 miles out with NOTHING. Worked 1 weedline about 6 miles out FULL of bait and saw nothing. Decided to run back in and pound the wecks from Hillsboror back to PE. Water was clean enough but almost no current. The drifts lasted forever and felt like we were anchored. Threw back a small bft, almaco and big a$$ bonita. Back to the dock at 4:00 with an empty cooler. At least I didn't have to clean fish I guess? Red meat for dinner tonight!

There was one guy at the dock with a 15lb bull. He went out about 15 mies for that fish and released 2 peanuts. I also read a thread from Reelthunder. He had a lot of productivity at about that same range.
    Funny you say that ... I prefer fishing during the week vs. the weekend because of how many people are usually out on the weekends.

We went out on Saturday anyways hoping to be the very first boat on the water. I had the boat setup in 250ft at 6:00AM with lines in and waiting for the sun to rise! The drifts were so slow all day that it felt like we were anchored too. Needless to say the fishing was not red hot either. We went 1 for 2 on kings around 10lbs, and 1 bonita. We did lose a number of mystery bottom fish and land a few short red groupers, but it was very slow all day and I can relate to the current - it SUCKED.

When it gets a bit colder I'm itching to go back to doing what copout was referring to when the current is slow --- bust out the electric' and dig up some golden tiles

Thanks for the report & tight lines

goldens are closed... well in federal waters they are!

this is from the Sea Legs FB page from todays morning trip

305082_363025497115815_1426371232_n.jpg
    Last edited by copout@castaways; 09-30-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Damn copout you are right I didn't even realize that as I haven't fished for them since last year

I guess I'll be fishing for Rosie's and such then :D